Best filmmaking DVD course? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Best filmmaking DVD course?

Good evening everyone,

I want to learn about filmmaking and I want to start with a DVD course. I did some research and found one with 25 DVD for under 500 dollars that supposed to be very good.

I was wondering if you can please suggest me another or another ones so I can compare and also if you know the one I am talking about.

Which filmmaking DVD course on the market is the best for you?

Thank you very much, I do really appreciate your recommendation!!

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you learn from how-to DVDs, you'll simply be learning how that instructor would have done it, should he have succeeded in filmmaking. FWIW, the best way to hone your own style is to shoot and shoot often. Make music videos, shorts, documentaries, features...
As long as you are proud of each of them and then embarrassed by them later, you are on the right track.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinner Hester View Post
As long as you are proud of each of them and then embarrassed by them later, you are on the right track.
A very sage observation.

I think that if you take instructional videos as ONE way of doing something, and giving you a place to start your journey, they can be great helpers along the path just described. But just as you can't teach hands on activities solely by instruction but also by "hands on" doing, so too is the art of film making. As long as you understand that, your quest for GOOD instructional videos is a worthwhile one. That said, one set to teach the ENTIRE realm may be a bit much to expect, or desire.

Film making is a series of tasks and activities. Each one can be an education all in itself. Each has courses and instructional videos devoted to it. There are excellent ones on lighting, on sound, directing, scriptwriting and also on specific cameras etc... But a one set for everything? Not too sure. others may have some ideas. Not sure you'd want it.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
If you learn from how-to DVDs, you'll simply be learning how that instructor would have done it, should he have succeeded in filmmaking. FWIW, the best way to hone your own style is to shoot and shoot often. Make music videos, shorts, documentaries, features...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
A very sage observation.

I think that if you take instructional videos as ONE way of doing something, and giving you a place to start your journey, they can be great helpers along the path just described. But just as you can't teach hands on activities solely by instruction but also by "hands on" doing, so too is the art of film making. As long as you understand that, your quest for GOOD instructional videos is a worthwhile one. That said, one set to teach the ENTIRE realm may be a bit much to expect, or desire.

Film making is a series of tasks and activities. Each one can be an education all in itself. Each has courses and instructional videos devoted to it. There are excellent ones on lighting, on sound, directing, scriptwriting and also on specific cameras etc... But a one set for everything? Not too sure. others may have some ideas. Not sure you'd want it.
Yes, each director has her or his way. But I've read many, many, MANY very good reviews about that DVD course. And it will give me some basics, since I am a level 1 beginner wanna be filmmaker.

I think I will just get it...

Thank you VERY much for you answers!!

Ben Tolosa
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa View Post
Yes, each director has her or his way. But I've read many, many, MANY very good reviews about that DVD course. And it will give me some basics, since I am a level 1 beginner wanna be filmmaker.

I think I will just get it...

Thank you VERY much for you answers!!

Ben Tolosa
I'd offer to you for your consideration that making a film as an indie is a lot more than just directorial skills, (not to minimize their importance.)

We all certainly wish you well and hope you will share your ongoing experiences with us and feel free to come back and ask for specific help as and when you need it. This site has lots of folks happy to offer help in very area of film making.

All the best

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Major Player

An idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I'd offer to you for your consideration that making a film as an indie is a lot more than just directorial skills, (not to minimize their importance.)

We all certainly wish you well and hope you will share your ongoing experiences with us and feel free to come back and ask for specific help as and when you need it. This site has lots of folks happy to offer help in very area of film making.

All the best

Chris
Hi Chris, I agree with you and I know that is a lot more than just directorial skills. Actually, I had an idea after I read you post. And I started a new blog called 'wannaben filmmaker' at blogspot. So, that way I can share my experience with the world.

I hope you like it if you take a look. It is brand new, so I only posted once.

Thank you very much and I am very happy I have the chance to read you all here at dvinfo!!

Peace,

Ben Tolosa
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
I somewhat disagree. Of course you will be learning the instructor's way of doing things. However, that is true no matter who is your tutor. Also, that instructor knows more than you, the student. He never said it was the limit of his education.

The videos were good. I learned stuff from them, and from this forum, and from books and other videos too. My advice is to learn from every source you can.
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Major Player

For actual shooting, there's nothing that beats the DVD series by Hollywood Camera Work - Film Directing, Film School, Camera Blocking, Cinematography Highly recommended.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I somewhat disagree. Of course you will be learning the instructor's way of doing things. However, that is true no matter who is your tutor. Also, that instructor knows more than you, the student. He never said it was the limit of his education.

The videos were good. I learned stuff from them, and from this forum, and from books and other videos too. My advice is to learn from every source you can.
Thank you VERY much for your thought Paul. And you are right, it will not be the limit of my education at all. I know I can learn a lot from several different sources. This place is an important one for me.

I have also got recommended the following books:

The Guerrilla Film Makers Handbook (All New American Edition) by Genevieve Jolliffe and Chris Jones

Making Movies by Sidney Lumet

How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime by Roger Corman

Rebel without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez

Digital Filmmaking 101: An Essential Guide to Producing Low-Budget Movie by Dale Newton Sr and John Gaspard

I am getting those videos shortly.

Thank you again for your input!!

Peace,

Ben Tolosa
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
For actual shooting, there's nothing that beats the DVD series by Hollywood Camera Work - Film Directing, Film School, Camera Blocking, Cinematography Highly recommended.
Thanks Bill very much!! I will definitely consider them for future purchase (perhaps Santa brings them for me soon).

Have a nice week!!
Best Regards,

Ben Tolosa
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Digital Juice has some good intro stuff, depending on what level you are working at. Look for their early stuff. Lately, they been posting mostly product promos.
Jordan Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Nash View Post
Digital Juice has some good intro stuff, depending on what level you are working at. Look for their early stuff. Lately, they been posting mostly product promos.
Sweet, I will check their site and read as much as I can...

Thank you very much Jordan!!

Ben Tolosa
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #13
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hey Ben,

The best way to learn is by doing. Get out there and make some stuff.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Hey Ben,

The best way to learn is by doing. Get out there and make some stuff.

All the best.

Andrew
Hi Andrew!!

Yes, I know. That is actually what I just started doing. I went to tape my house on the outside. I taped like a little tour on the outsides.

Really fun!!

I am writing my journey in blogspot. Wannabenfilmmaker

Thanks and all the best to you too!!

BTW, I have to DVD course ready to be watch on my living room... ^_^
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion