canon zr40 copyright problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

canon zr40 copyright problem

Hey!
newbie here with a question, which I've searched the forum for an answer for and haven't come up with one. My question- has anyone had a canon give you a 'copyright protected playback is restricted error' when your trying to use the camera as a deck for fcp output? I'm using my footage that I took with my camera, so obviously it's not copyrighted.
I talked to canon they say it's the software (though they have heard of this problem with an xl-1). Talked to apple, they say it's the camera. Both say to cut the clip and replace with a new or similar one and try that. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this or knew a solution. thanks for any and all help!!
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:17 PM   #2
Warden

You've two options. Use a different camera and capture with FCP. Use ZR camera and capture with iMovie and import into FCP. I suspect it's the camera more than the software.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 12:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Protection warning

Apparently you are trying to dub a pre-recorded VHS tape onto DV using your camera. Some VHS distributors use the Macrovision system to reduce the public's desire to steal their intellectual (at least in some cases...) property.

It is not a camera 'problem' - the law-abiding people at Canon have decided it's better to not give you any data at all rather than a slightly mangled picture as with VCR to VCR dubbing.

one work-around: frame your TV screen in the camera's viewfinder, dim the lights and press record. You may be able to run the audio into the camera rather than through the TV speakers - haven't tested it yet.
Ron Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:19 AM   #4
Warden

adhocMedia

Thanks for the info on Macrovision, but in nordicaskis case he's trying to edit material shot with the ZR45. If it's software related (FCP) switching to iMovie will sovle it. If it's camera related switching cameras should solve it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM   #5
New Boot

found an alternative answer

Hey!
Thanks for the help! After poking around I found one other way to trick it by adding a text to the clip. Basically I just add text (without any actual text) to the complete clip and it by passes the copyright problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion