Are broadcast television color systems even relevant for DVD authoring today? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Are broadcast television color systems even relevant for DVD authoring today?

Hi, I have a pressing question. I have a DVD which I intend to market worldwide and was wondering if I need to encode it in different color systems like PAL and NTSC and SECAM for different regions worldwide. Isn't it true that almost all DVD players and televisions are multi-system these days, capable of automatically adjusting to the source colour system?

I'm looking to save some money by authoring it to one standard system (PAL) and going ahead with the worldwide distribution. Or would that lead to disastrous consequences?

Some advice would be most appreciated.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

Generally, PAL players are more likely to be able to also play NTSC, so encoding in NTSC is the safer bet. Vice versa, finding an NTSC player that can play PAL tends to be the exception to the rule.

But in the long run you are probably saving time & money by taking the time to encode in each format.
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Ali, love your tag line btw!!! So true...
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Even when a player will play either PAL or NTSC, the TV to which it is attached is either one or the other. The player converts to the format that the TV supports. The resulting display in not as smooth as its native format. Converting frames per second (NTSC - 30, PAL - 25) and screen lines "hurts" the display quality. Since you describe your DVD as a commercial endeavor, it's appropriate to produce two versions.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You answered your own question when you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
Isn't it true that almost all DVD players and televisions are multi-system these days, capable of automatically adjusting to the source colour system?
Do you want your DVD to play on ALL players or only on 'most' of them?
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
Isn't it true that almost all DVD players and televisions are multi-system these days, capable of automatically adjusting to the source colour system?
No. While many (most?) PAL DVD players (in combination with agile TV sets) will convert NTSC to "PAL 60", even that is not a reliable thing to depend on across the planet.

And certainly, the number of customers in NTSC-land who can play native PAL DVDs is probably way less than 1% unless they play it on their computers, etc.

Recommended research:
PAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #7
New Boot

Why not save yourselves the headache and time by doing both.....
Eric Bakko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion