White balance question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

White balance question

Hello,

I think i know what to do in this situation, but wanted to run it by the the DVInfo group to make sure.. I am shooting in a Stage like concert set-up.. Where the camera will be a good 40 yards back from the stage in the somewhat dark audience area.. And I want to make sure i get correct whit balance..The stage is light up by a grid.. So do i take my white balance card up to the stage edge, (under the stage lights) and do my white balance there?? Any suggestions?/

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

White Balance Question

Hi Mike,

If the stage is lit with instruments with colored gels, don't white balance. The colors from the stage lights will try and be recognized as 3200 white by your camera and will therefore not register at their true color. Go with the 3200 K preset.

Hopes this helps. Have fun.

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Go with what looks good... in a creative environment true whites dont matter much and in a concert forget about it! If there is going to be vari-lights or even a decent rig with gels it wont matter. Generally you can WB to your outdoor setting and have some nice warm colors....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #4
Major Player

White Balance Question

Ash,

Your reply was very appropriate for you and I. But I was trying to advise a newbie. He may not yet be prepared to understand how a 5600K white balance will give him a warmer tone or have the experience to know how to "go with what looks good".

This is really not the place to show off about what you know but rather to show those who don't know.

Sincerely,

Stephanie
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Trustee

LOL, how is telling him to experiment and do what looks good showing off? I think bringing in color temps is actually more intricate than just telling him to choose the outdoor setting...

What kind of concert is this? Will there some light design?

ash =o)
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Ash,

I'm very new to this forum stuff and I may have over stepped my bounds. Please accept my sincere apologies. I really never meant to question your advice; I just got carried away with the thrill of all the great feedback I was reading on this site and was moved to contribute my two cents worth.

This is not to say that I don't still stand by my advice, but I shouldn't have included the criticism. I'm still learning.....

Take care,
Stephanie
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #7
Major Player

If you have access to the stage prior to the concert, perhaps you can have the non-white lights turned off, and then do your manual white balance.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #8
Trustee

No need to apologize! I dont get offended easy... how COULD you in this biz? I like when people help out each other, I cant stand the people who want to keep their settings a secret or their techniques a mystery....

ash =o)
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Most important is to set the camera at a preset and not let it change the WB automatically. If you don't like the colour for any reason then you can adjust in editing. I would set at the indoor preset.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Every stage production I've shot in various theatres always white balances to 3200K - 3400K. Again, that's regardless of the theatre. Most of them use the same kind of lighting instruments and bulbs.
Brent Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #11
Major Player

I do as Pete Wilie does. White balance before the show with white lights only, before the colour comes up. We do a talk tv show here and always white balance on white light, then bring the colours up.

For your stage show even though the camera is way back in the dark it's what's on stage that matters. If you are well back you may need a large white sheet to white balance on. Zoom in, focus, then white balance on the sheet.
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #12
Wrangler

FWIW, in concert situations like this, I run my cam on 3200K because most stage lighting originates as tungsten or quartz halogen. This seems to give me the most 'realistic' look but not necessarily the most creative look. However, if it's a multicam, multi-brand shoot, might be better to have all cameras WB on a white stage object illuminated by white light only. Hopefully, that will help ease the color correction burden on the editor in post.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion