DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Best Mag. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/467350-best-mag.html)

Glenn Oberlin November 8th, 2009 09:34 PM

Best Mag.

If you were going to subscribe to one Video Magazine, which one would it be?

Perrone Ford November 8th, 2009 11:25 PM

ASC

(other candidates would be HDVideoPro and Post Magazine)

Dean Sensui November 8th, 2009 11:58 PM

If this is a money-driven decision, then I'd suggest DV Magazine and Studio Monthly. They're online. And free.

Glenn Oberlin November 9th, 2009 05:29 PM

Magazine

It's not the money, I'm new at this video thing so I guess I would want something not to technical .............

Chris Hurd November 9th, 2009 05:33 PM

In my opinion there's really only one worth subscribing to: HD Video Equipment - HD Video Tips - HD Video Technique | HDVideoPro.com

Shaun Roemich November 9th, 2009 05:33 PM

I'll second HDVideo Pro.

If Videography and Video Systems are still going, I'll recommend them as well.

Ken Hull November 9th, 2009 09:12 PM

"asc" ?

Perrone,
By "ASC" do you mean "American Cinematographer Magazine", or does the ASC have a lesser-known publication called simply "ASC"?
Ken

Perrone Ford November 10th, 2009 06:21 AM

No, I mean American Cinematographer. I was just thinking of the organization, not the magazine itself. Sorry.

Chris Swanberg November 11th, 2009 02:09 AM

I think everything that has been suggested is marvelous, but not aimed at "someone new to this."

I'd say get a subscriptionto both HDVPro and Videomaker and transition as you are able in terms of undertanding. HDVPro is not a newbie mag IMHO.

David W. Jones November 11th, 2009 06:29 AM

I have never paid for my business magazine subscriptions, they have always been complementary. But I will say that on the majority of them out there, I have not renewed the free subscription because they have changed dramatically over the last 5 years, from being article/information driven, into a promotional device for whoever is hawking the latest piece of kit that you don't really need, with mock stories designed to promote that gear.

I understand that the landscape has changed for magazines and/or print in this economy, but the quality of most of the film/video/sound magazines has really gone downhill.
In my opinion, take the money you were going to spend on Mag subscriptions, and save it for something you really want or need, or use it for your education, such as real books on the subject that will really teach you something. Spend it on faster internet, all that stuff you would find in a monthly Mag, is sitting on the internet just waiting for you to do a search!

All the Best!

Paul Cascio November 11th, 2009 01:57 PM

Subscribe to them all, for the cheapest education available. But if you just want the basics, try Videomaker Magazine.

Eric Bakko November 12th, 2009 10:28 AM

HDVideoPro and Post Magazine for me