DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   WD hard drive issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/467435-wd-hard-drive-issue.html)

David Kovalev November 10th, 2009 08:24 AM

WD hard drive issue

I really need someones help on this! I'm in a pickle jar with no way out. I have a western digital hard drive (about 2 years old or so) and I have a wedding video on there that I was just about to export (over 40hrs of work).
The problem is whenever I plug into the computer it doesn't recognize it like it usually does. I put my ear to the hard drive and the disc is spinning but it seems like its slipping (trying over and over again about 3 times then quits) Now, I have another computer that I plugged this into and it worked the first time and then after restarting it couldn't recognize it.
Has anyone had this problem? How can I transfer all that data to another hard drive and should I be worried about loosing all the data?

Thanks in Advance... please reply quickly if you can.

Vito DeFilippo November 10th, 2009 09:41 AM

You mean it's giving you a recurring clicking noise? That's usually bad news.

If you manage to get that drive going even once, copy everything on it immediately.

Do you have a backup of the project file? You could always open up the project and recapture the offline media.

Brett Sherman November 10th, 2009 11:51 AM

Sounds like a media failure unfortunately. If you can get it to mount, copy your files immediately to a new disk. There are services that will get the data off a failed drive, but it's usually about $1000.

If it is an external drive, it is possible that the power supply may be bad. I would open up the case, get the hard drive out and put it into a new enclosure. This would also solve the problem if the bridge board is bad.

If the drive is IDE something like this:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-IU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

If it's SATA:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

But my guess is it's media failure.

Peter Erfurt November 10th, 2009 01:01 PM

What about the old master/slave problem? Have you checked if the little jumper on the back of the WD drive is sitting correct (ie. if it's an IDE drive)?

/peter

Battle Vaughan November 10th, 2009 02:37 PM

I have had that problem with a WD drive (firewire/usb) and was able to wake it up by plugging it into another computer then powering it up --- which apparently you have done already --- but if the drive is truly roached, google hard drive data recovery, there are a number of labs that specialize in recovering dead drives....have no personal experience so can't recommend a specific one, but you will find several on google.../Battle Vaughan

PS I jumped to the conclusion you had an wd external drive, which is what I was talking about. Internal drive, you might find an ide or sata to usb interface (compUSA or Tiger Direct) and try that...

David Kovalev November 10th, 2009 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I'll be trying these things when I get home tonight. I have another (same case dimensions) HD that I can take apart and switch the disks.

Vito: I did manage to copy the project file over when it responded, however if i recapture the footage and if its off by half a second wouldn't that mean all the clips will be off... is there a way to line it up again?

Peter: I'm sure its sitting correctly, it worked a few days ago. But I'll scope it out tonight

Battle: Thanks for the tip... that would be my last resort if all else fails...

I will update you later and hopefully you'll be hearing good news...

Thanks again

PS- and YES its an EXTERNAL drive.

Vito DeFilippo November 10th, 2009 02:57 PM

Hi David,

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kovalev (Post 1445335)
Vito: I did manage to copy the project file over when it responded, however if i recapture the footage and if its off by half a second wouldn't that mean all the clips will be off... is there a way to line it up again?

Can you clarify? Do you mean that you tried recapturing the footage and it's off? Or you are asking a hypothetical question?

What program are you editing with? Any good NLE will let you recapture offline footage and it should line up fine as long as you captured it originally with proper timecode. I'd need more info to help you with that.

Dave Blackhurst November 10th, 2009 03:31 PM

That ugly clicking sounds familiar, BUT you may be able to get it back long enough to copy everything off of it (be 100% sure you have the disk space available to do this - if you're lucky enough to get the drive back running, you don't want to gamble on a second chance).

Data recovery services are VERY expensive, but depending on the project might be worth it.

If you have the project file, recapture and "nudge" the files if they are off, lots less work than starting from scratch. Odds are decent that your recapture will be accurate as it is digital.

OK, here's the advice I hesitate to give, BUT... I've had it work, and it seems to sometimes resolve a "stuck" drive. IF you try this, it's at your own risk, but I've revived a few drives with careful "percussive maintenance" - a gentle rap (with something like a small screwdriver handle) on the side of the drive when it's trying to spin up (with drive sitting horizontal, parallel to the disk plane, NOT perpendicular to the disk plane, that might well hose the disks and heads). My working hypothesis is that an old drive can sometimes get stuck in its initialization cycle, and the gentle knock allows it to get going again. It's worked for me enough times I toss it out for what it might be worth. If desperation sets in, I didn't tell you to do it, but...

If it works, get the data off IMMEDIATELY! Then put a big ugly "DEAD" notation on the drive...

Ervin Farkas November 10th, 2009 08:36 PM

If you have an identical drive, switch the electronics first - this worked for a coworker of mine. If it doesn't work, switch the disk.

Another tip I found on the internet, but never had to try, is to place the drive in an air-tight plastic bag in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, then power it up.

David Kovalev November 10th, 2009 10:03 PM

Okay Good News!

I came home today and powered it up, no response. I replaced the cable and plugged it in the back USB port and after a while it responded! I'm not sure what the problems is... My top(front) USB port was working fine through that cable before. I'm sure the drive is "DEAD", it's just going down with a fight.

I'm transferring all data (over 100GB) onto another Hard Drive as we speak. I'm so glad I dont have to redo anything. Lesson learned without stepping on the rake :D

Thanks for all your advice/help guys. I'll keep this post in mind next time me or someone I know is in the same hole.

I love the freezer idea... that would've been interesting!

Dean Sensui November 10th, 2009 10:17 PM

Just chiming in here: I've seen a lot of reports about WD drives giving people problems.

I use Hitachi/IBM SATA drives and never experience any issues. There are about two dozen on my shelf, all used with a hot-swappable Firmtek enclosure. None have failed over the past several years since I started using the Firmtek setup.

Cost of expanding is very low -- just the cost of a bare drive and a $22 sled. 1 TB drives can be found for $90. With data storage this affordable, always make a backup. I back up entire projects to a mirrored RAID so if my working striped RAID fails, there's a full backup waiting right there.

With this kind of security I sleep well at night.

Actually, since I've been working 18-hour days for more than a month, I sleep regardless.... :-)

Neil McClure November 10th, 2009 10:30 PM

I had a similar issue with a Lacie drive. One suggestion was that it may be a mechanical problem. Ball bearings/ lubricant issue. Tip was to place drive next to a heater for around 30 minutes or so - to bring the drive up to normal operating temperature - It worked - grabbed all the files and then relegated the drive to be a door-stop.

Philip Howells November 11th, 2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1445529)
Another tip I found on the internet, but never had to try, is to place the drive in an air-tight plastic bag in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, then power it up.

If you'll forgive a digression, I'd love to hear that someone tried this ingenious idea, fixed the drive but now can't get the pizzas out of the freezer! Sorry Mod.

Ervin Farkas November 11th, 2009 06:52 AM

Weeelll... dunno 'bout you guys over the Pond, but we like our pizza hot... *wink.

Dimitris Mantalias November 11th, 2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1445599)
If you'll forgive a digression, I'd love to hear that someone tried this ingenious idea, fixed the drive but now can't get the pizzas out of the freezer! Sorry Mod.

Being a computer hardware technician for many years, I can assure you that it works! Not everytime but with a good percentage! So, if anyone is feeling adventurous, it's a good chance to try and save the lost data! :)

Only problem is you have to recover fast before the temperature rises again! Once I worked directly through the freezer with a big USB cable! :)