Large padded case that doesn't break the bank? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Large padded case that doesn't break the bank?

Sorry, I couldn't find a category for this (unless I missed something).

So, I have a bunch of audio gear, and I'd like to keep it together instead of in multiple cases. I had a super cheapo duffle bag from ebay that is already starting to fall apart, even though I've only moved it from my place of residence back and forth a few times. So I"m looking for a replacement, but what I want (Portabrace production case or something similar) are fairly pricey.

So this duffle bag was about 2' x 1'x 1' or so, and I lined with foamcore/eggcrate to firm it up and pad it.

I intend to carry cables, several mics, a mixer and a few other things, with room to grow.

Any ideas?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't know what your budget it like but have you looked at pelican?

You can have foam or padded dividers.. I love mine.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Storm Case is a great product. I like the latches better than the pelican.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have a couple Tamrac cases and really like them, Got a 5613 for my ex1 which is big enough to fit with mattebox attached and still have lots of room: Tamrac - Model 5613 Ultra Pro 13

This is probably a bit smaller than you want, but they have lots of other options. I also have one of their smaller "strongbox" cases which I like a lot. Looks like a soft case on the outside but it has a rigid PVC inner tub. They make larger versions of this which roll around like a small suitcase: Tamrac - Rolling Bags

The interiors are completely configurable any way you like with velcro padded dividers.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have 4 of the Storm cases and quite like them.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Aw man. I didn't see these replies (I'm not getting email notifications?), but I already pulled the trigger on a portabrace PC-3 production case off ebay. It wasn't exactly cheap, but still about half price.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM   #7
Trustee

A good case if you don't need waterproof.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

Not an issue right now. And if it is. . .well, it was nice knowing you all because Armageddon has obviously arrived.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

In the future you might check out 4lessdepot.com (I think they also go by cases4less) they're in the LA area and I've always had good luck ordering from them.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Aw man. I didn't see these replies (I'm not getting email notifications?),
Me either, and no 'quote' button on the latest post.

For mics I got an aluminium carry case with foam from an electronic parts supply outlet .. $A30. Cheers.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Wrangler

There is some sort of issue with e-mail notifications; Jeff is working on it. I believe Chris removed the ability to quote the most recent post after some discussion in the forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

O/T thanks Boyd I didn't know that quote button had been removed, I can understand why with folk quoting very long posts. Cheers.
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I was going to get a PortaBrace/Pelican case but found them to be too heavy and not enough interior space. Don't get me wrong these type of cases are rock solid and can stand up to being thrown around by airport baggage handlers or stay a float when dropped in a lake.

At least for my purposes, storage containers found in department stores, are sufficient. They're rigid enough prevent equipment from being crushed when stacked and water proof enough to protect equipment from getting wet from rain and snow.

I transport my equipment on daily basis to job sites but I don't throw my stuff around. I put a higher premium on weight and utilization of space. One other unintended benefit is they're less of a target to be stolen.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion