Ebay Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 28th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ebay Batteries

Hello,

Was just wondering if the generic camcorder batteries on Ebay are any good? I'm looking to pick up a few spares and the price difference between the generics and brand names is huge... ($18 vs $60)...

Thanks!
Justin DeAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

In this business, you get what you pay for. Why would you want to cripple your camera with dirt-cheap batteries? There's a reason why they're priced so low. Is it worth saving a few bucks to risk damaging your camera's electronics, or worse, personal injury? These things are time bombs waiting to go off in my opinion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, that's why I was asking. What about batteries that are not the original manufacturer, but sold in reputable stores (brands like CTA, Lenmar, Monster-Power, and Power-2000?)
Justin DeAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Of those third-party batts you've listed, I've found Lenmar to be among the best. I'm sure others will weigh in with their own opinions.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Major Player

While not camcorder batteries, I have had great success with generic and custom battery packs from BatterySource.com. (powering the camera through the DC port - charger is standalone)

5A of rechargeable battery power for $30. Hard to beat it (gotta be creative in how you mount/attach the battery though).
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Major Player

As Chris said, you get what you pay for. Although the difference in price between the "eBay" batteries and brand name batteries is three times in your example, the actual difference in dollars is $40.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You need to look at this issue as an investment decision. Paying less for poor quality can often result in significant problems down the road. Paying more up front, while hard to stomach, often results in a better, more predictable outcome and, therefore, a good return on investment.

Remember, you're not comparing apples to apples here; the question you are currently asking is, "should I save $40 dollars or spend it." The proper question to ask is, what return on investment will I get by spending the extra $40.

Experience has shown me that the answer to this question is, your return will be greater reliability and fewer problems. This will far outweigh the extra $40 investment.
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Justin,

I bought a 4.5 hour battery for my Panasonic DVX-100A at eBatts.com for about $45. They have a 100% 1 year quarantee and free shipping. Very happy so far with this battery.

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #8
Major Player

I've thrown away my money several times on cheaper, Brand X batteries, but never again. Nothing but Sony batteries for my Sony cameras. I can't speak for the other major brands of today, but I had bad results from Canon NiCads on my old Hi-8 cams. By contrast, Sony's NP98 NiCads were superb. In fact, I still use them, 10 years after purchase, to power my bike light. They are priceless in the value they have given me. However, the off-brand "Sony-replacement" 6-V NiCad batteries, that were packaged to make you think they were made by Sony, were worthless and went dead after a few cycles. I wouldn't depend on the cheapo lithium batteries you might buy, to be any better. As Chris mentioned, poor quality lithium batteries can be dangerous. They can explode like grenades under certain circumstances (not to scare anyone needlessly, but it has happened). The pedigree and the amount and type of usage of used batteries from online, independent sellers, can never be certain, sight unseen.

Suppose, for example, a Sony brand battery went ballistic and ruined a Sony camera. I'd think you'd have a case for Sony to cover the damage. You can bet that if a Brand X battery caused damage, that Sony would not give you any free repairs.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Major Player

I've been using "generic" V-mount lithium ion batteries from eBay on my DSR-1 + DXC-327A for over a year. They charge quickly, and last for hours. At about $100 a piece, they are a steal.

I did some research to discover who I bought them from, and although I found his eBay store, he doesn't carry these batteries any more. Click here for an example of what I've been using. I use an IDX VL-2 Plus charger with these.

Now, take a look at B&H Photo's Bescor BPLI-95 battery and tell me it's not the same thing for $275? How about an IDX E-10S 98Wh is $350, or a Sony BP-GL95 is $550?!

Name-brand batteries are a rip-off. It's not "you get what you pay for" it's "you pay for the name you got." Oh, and who in blazes is still using NiCads?

Last edited by Doug Boze; June 30th, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
Doug Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:00 AM   #10
Wrangler

I bought a small pile of 3rd party batteries for my XL1 cameras over the years, and have found they produce very similar results to Canon brand batteries. That is for name brand 3rd party batteries though. The absolute no-name ones don't perform nearly as well, but are a fraction of the price. I'd rather carry two good batteries that cost $60ea than four poopy batteries that cost $30ea.
Works out the same for cost/duration, except you are carrying less weight and have less charging to do. FWIW, I think the Canon brand batteries are overpriced, at least at the local shops. Not sure what B&H sells them for.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:39 AM   #11
Tourist

Ebay Batteries

I've gotten batterys several times off of Ebay for Digital Cameras & Camcorders.
I've been burn on trying to always get the cheapest battery they have...Wrong!
You get what you pay for! Case in point I got 2 battery from AccStation.
When the battery finally arrive after a 3week later. One had a creak in the case and I send it back. The other one wont charge up to it full capatcity, I would get 214 min out of a batt. that should give 600 min's or better. I should of told you the battery was a NP-F960 for my Sony DCR-VX2100. I got every other item for this camera but my budget fell short when it came time to get the batterys to run my camera & lights. Oh well live and learn !
George Grazette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM   #12
Major Player

I've had good results with batteries purchased from Eagle Imports. They have a Yahoo! store and an eBay store as well.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #13
New Boot

Ive used numerous third party batteries Ive gotten from ebay on my Gl2 and a really long time ago on my old JVC DVL820u. They have always worked fine for me. Just bought a third party 6 hour battery got my GL2 for $19. Cant beat that price and works like a charm.
Johnny Lucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Grazette
I've gotten batterys several times off of Ebay for Digital Cameras & Camcorders.
I've been burn on trying to always get the cheapest battery they have...Wrong!
You get what you pay for! Case in point I got 2 battery from AccStation.
When the battery finally arrive after a 3week later. One had a creak in the case and I send it back. The other one wont charge up to it full capatcity, I would get 214 min out of a batt. that should give 600 min's or better.
Don't feel too bad, I've never had a 600min name brand battery give me 600 mins. :)

However, a 200 min battery for $20 is a pretty good deal.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I also bought generic brand batteries for my Sony camcorder and got poor results with them. Meaning they provided much less running time or they would work under certain conditions. With one of them, I would have to power on and off the camera a couple of times until the camera recognized the battery. I just wonder when people say these batteries are not safe and they can explode, what would be the case(s) when one of these batteries could actually explode or have there been several cases of this happening ???? I know that cell phone batteries, even the brand name ones can explode when improperly charged. Any light on this safety issue ? ? ?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion