Why are only Sony using 1/2" sensors? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
by the time you outfit the 5D/7D with a real monitor, a mattebox, follow focus, and real glass, it's not much smaller or lighter than an EX1.
.......and it would still only shoot 12 minute bursts. The 5D/7D are still cameras with video capabilities. They have filled a vacuum and that's great - as far as they go. Let's hope that competitive forces will help sort the fly droppings from the pepper and we see substantial developments over the next year or so and some real innovations in VIDEO cameras.

I wish Red would get serious about the Scarlet but their horrible product release scheduling has become a standing joke --- even on their own web site! Initially I hoped that their Scarlet announcement would build a fire among the major camcorder manufacturers but now, I don't think anyone is worried about them.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
.......and it would still only shoot 12 minute bursts. The 5D/7D are still cameras with video capabilities.
I don't see this as a significant issue. These cameras in their current config are pretty much like 16mm film cameras. There are terribly poor substitutes for video camcorders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Initially I hoped that their Scarlet announcement would build a fire among the major camcorder manufacturers but now, I don't think anyone is worried about them.
I would wager that 80% or more of the camcorders sold in the US cost less than $2k. That is not RED's market, and I don't think Sony, Canon, or JVC have anything to worry about. The Sony EX1/EX3 changed the game for cams under $10k. Somewhat like the DVX100 did 5 years ago. The Scarlet, whenever it arrives is going to kick the beehive in the $5k-$12k market. And it is the product offerings in that market that need to improve and FAST. Sony's upgrade to the EX1r was brilliant. Canon is wandering in the dark at this point. Panasonic better have something special on tap before the Scarlet is released. And I think JVC is just sitting back not wanting to play in this game which is too bad.

Something tells me, the market from $12k-$20k is about to be full of 35mm offerings. Maybe by 2012. It's the real growth area.
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Trustee

I hope you're right about Scarlet's ultimate arrival's "kicking the beehive". Another aspect to the "comfort factor" in Sony et al regarding their overall market share being relatively unaffected by the upcoming Scarlet is that Sony and others have different business units each responsible for different market segments. While the overall corporate market share for camcorders may be OK, the key management in a business unit that gets hit over the head by a competitive company's product(s) may find it career limiting. Let's hope the right people are worried about it.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #19
Trustee

Sony are using 1/2" sensors because they want to. Because they want to. And because they fancy Billy Piper.

The other reason could be because they make sense.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion