rca to computer monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

rca to computer monitor?

Just scored a monitor from a computer (LCD) and I wanted to use it on location as a video monitor. anyone know of an adaptor that I can use to get a simple RCA (or component would work too) to connect to the monitor?

Thanks! I could not find anything at my local computer store and the staff there are less than helpful...
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A simple cable adapter won't cut it. AFAIK you're going to need an active converter box to do the job. A google on composite or s-video to vga will turn up a bunch.
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Major Player

You need something LIKE this Audio Authority Audio Authority 1362 Composite/SVideo to YPbPr/VGA Converter VGA Adapters at Markertek.com I know nothing about this company or device--it seems to do what you want.

Whether this is advisable is a different story. If you just want to see a picture, this kind of adapter will work. If you want to do critical judgement of your image, that is a much broader question that requires much more information.
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Scott,

To make this simpler...

TV and Computer Monitors are VERY different things.

TV's (at least in the US) display only a very few kinds of video signals. That signal must be from a VERY short list of resolutions and refresh rates and the scanning format must also conform to a short list of standards.

The MOST common is still SD broadcast video. Which has a basic visual display raster of around 640x480 pixels and MUST have it's lines displayed as an interlaced raster with all the odd lines written, followed by all the even lines at specific timing intervals. If the signal is NOT that - it's NOT broadcast SD video period - and no SD broadcast TV will display it. Similar standards exist for the variations of HD video.

Computer monitors are different beasts. They are designed to be driven by computer monitor cards and the vast majority are designed to display PROGRESSIVE scans rather than interlaced scans, and are quite happy to sync to a whole bunch of resolutions.

In order to display TV on a computer - OR computer signals on a TV, you need an active scan line converter with the proper timing signals.

Even with this you will often LOSE resolution and sharpness going EITHER way - since you're essentially trying to fit one signal type into the raster array of another signal type.

So what you're attempting is possible - but probably won't make you particularly happy even if you can get the conversion stuff right. And in the end you'll actually spend MORE money for WORST results than if you just bought an inexpensive TV to display the TV signals and stick to using computer monitors to display computer signals.

Hope that helps.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I see what you are getting at Bill

For the price of that box I would rather shell out the extra cash to just buy a TV... I was just thinking it would be good for just looking at the shot composition...

Well, Thanks for the help then! I will just look for a TV later..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion