SD is Dead. Long Live SD! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

A DVX isn't going to yield a very good 16x9 image without an anamorphic lens adapter.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks again

Robert - the DVX100b isn't actually that bad in 16:9. To my eye the lost resolution isn't terribly noticeable compared to the camera's image in 4:3. You probably wouldn't be happy with either though - a bigger problem is the overall detail & dynamic range. The Panasonic's colors, pretty as they are, seem almost designed to mask the sensor's limitations. (But I'd need to own one and to play with the settings to be sure.)

I've tried to uprez the GY300u to match the DVX100b's 16:9, even using instant HD style filters, but I haven't had much luck so far. Since my consumer HD cams & my shooting partner can do widescreen, I feel I'm missing a tool.

Bill, you're right - I know in many applications I'd be thrilled with the 5000 (assuming I was videographer enough for it), but I'll need to carefully consider what I most need. Considering I do want 16:9, I am seriously considering the HD110 in SD mode, though I understand they were very temperamental, prone to head blockages, and miserable in low light when recording HD.

CMOS is, I think, the future - my understanding is that CCDs overheat when too many pixels are crammed into them. The key will be newer technologies to overcome rolling shutter, and back-illuminated CMOS designs to improve light sensitivity. So in three years today's cameras will once again be nearly obsolete. Sigh. :)
Brit Albritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Inner Circle

If you want widescreen SD out of an HD cam, used HDR-FX1s are a pretty good value, at well under $2k used nowadays. I've seen those go for as little as $1600 even. I suggest shooting HDV though, and downscaling (properly). You'll get an even better image than shooting in SD with almost any cam really.

Btw, an FX1 can work just dandy for downscaling to either 60i or 30p SD.

If you are interested in looking at getting an FX1, you can drop me a private msg. I've got one that's essentially like new, that I do intend to sell.
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Update: I just sold my jvc5000. Craigslist...no listing or paypal fees !!!
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Glad to hear it Bill. I know it's not easy to sell an SD JVC cam for anywhere near what it's worth!
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Inner Circle

One of the things that's slowing me down with getting this FX1 sold, is I'm not willing to let it go for what well used FX1s are typically selling for. Realistically, it's got a lot more useful life left in it than a typical, well used FX1, but most folks don't seem to be willing to spend anymore at all for one that's basically like new. This one hasn't even recorded over 20 tapes. A heck of a lot of the FX1s being sold used, even though they may have been very well cared for, have hundreds of hours on the heads. I've got to think mine is worth at least a couple hundred more than one that's half way to needing the heads replaced.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion