DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Teleprompters under $2,000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/471091-teleprompters-under-2-000-a.html)

Bob Prichard January 15th, 2010 06:23 PM

Teleprompters under $2,000

I have been trying to find an inexpensive teleprompter for some youtube videos using my Canon XL 2.

The prompterpeople software does not run on my non-intel mac.

1promter refuses to give out any refererences or third-party reviews.

Cheapprompter uses 70/30 glass, while everyone else uses 60/40.

If you have some experience with one of these, or some other teleprompter, please tell me about it as I hope to buy one in the next week.

Thanks.

PS. Any hints about what to look for would be appreciated. One poster on another thread recommended downloading the demo software for each, which I will do this weekend.

Dean Sensui January 15th, 2010 11:47 PM

Here's the teleprompter we're using: Q-Gear Teleprompters

The software is running on an Intel mac, but you might be able to find software that runs on a Motorola processor. The monitor takes a standard monitor connector so it's a matter of finding something that will work with an external display.

The quality of the setup is very nice. It works well. Cindy, our host, used to work at a TV news station and said this teleprompter was better than the one she used to work with.

We use the glass beam splitter and have a spare just in case. Be very, very careful with it. I'm certain it's as fragile as I think it might be.

Bill Davis January 16th, 2010 12:57 AM

Most of the LCD units from Prompter People under 17" fall under $2k.

Good gear, too - tho I do prefer the acrylic beamsplitter upgrade. Glass is just too darn fragile if you're going to do much field work with any prompter.

Good luck.

Guy Cochran January 28th, 2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Prichard (Post 1472960)
I have been trying to find an inexpensive teleprompter for some youtube videos using my Canon XL 2.

The prompterpeople software does not run on my non-intel mac.

1promter refuses to give out any refererences or third-party reviews.

Cheapprompter uses 70/30 glass, while everyone else uses 60/40.

If you have some experience with one of these, or some other teleprompter, please tell me about it as I hope to buy one in the next week.

Thanks.

PS. Any hints about what to look for would be appreciated. One poster on another thread recommended downloading the demo software for each, which I will do this weekend.

You might want to give the Trial version of PromptDog a try PromptDog at DVcreators.net

Kevin Pineda January 29th, 2010 04:58 PM

I havnt tried these but for 700 bucks, it may be worth it.

Professional Teleprompter Kit with 10.2" LCD Monitor

comes with everything you need, except for camera and tripod.

Joe Voorhees February 1st, 2010 10:48 AM

I'm currently using one of these guys:
Ikan | PT3000 Teleprompter | PT3000 | B&H Photo Video

no real complaints other then the monitor has a svga in rather then a BNC but that was my own fault for not checking before I bought it. Software is really easy to use and supports editing right from prompt mode.

-Joe

Charles Penn April 21st, 2010 12:19 PM

Whatever you do, stay away from Prompter People. They have been a total nightmare. Their customer service is horrible, I had great difficulty finding a way to secure the prompter to my Bogen/ 503 head tripod, struggled to find the right clamp to use it as a monitor for focusing, the original monitor cord was shipped with a big rip in it. On top of that, my Macbook Pro would not recognize the monitor when I plugged in it. Because it would not recognize it, it rendered the teleprompter useless. I had to ship the monitor back to PP at my cost -- twice -- and they still say nothing's wrong with it! I had considered Flo light because I need additional lighting, but I want nothing to do with Prompter People again, ever!

Giroud Francois April 21st, 2010 01:00 PM

since there are several nice apps for ihpone you can try them on an ipad (for increased screen size).
just add the mirror and you are done.

Dean Sensui April 23rd, 2010 03:54 AM

Check out the ProPrompter. Turns your iPad to a very nice, lightweight teleprompter. It makes use of your iPhone or iPod touch as a wireless controller.

I saw this at NAB and was impressed!

Giroud Francois April 23rd, 2010 12:28 PM

I loaded i-Prompt and iPrompter in my iTouch, and it works well, little preference for i-Prompter.
The i-Prompt seems to have wired remote control, but not yet ready for order on their website.
If only these apps could output the video with the iphone/itouch video cable, it would be great so you can choose any screen.
if you jailbreak the device, you can have that, but currently i am reluctant to do it.

Tom Robertson April 23rd, 2010 08:01 PM

Check out zaprompt.com -- nice prompters for a great price. One of my firends bought the 17 inch model and likes it a lot. The same model is on my wish list.