DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   New TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/471399-new-tv.html)

Stelios Christofides January 21st, 2010 06:46 AM

New TV

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I would like to purchase a 50" or 52" TV and would like your recommendations on this. What I set really impressed me the most was the Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090, but unfortunately they stopped manufacturing TVs so I don't know which one to get. As I have a big collection of DVDS (nearly 1000) the new set must also be able to handle (besides bluray) the standard DVD format well. I really don't mind whether it's an LCD or PLASMA although I prefer the Plasma ones.

Stelios

Ron Evans January 21st, 2010 06:58 AM

I have a Panasonic 42" 1920x1080P Plasma with my PS3 and a 40" Sony 240hz with the Sony Bluray player, both are also fed by HD cable. As a general TV the Sony is better. Being fed HDMI from my AVCHD cam direct there is little difference with the plasma having just a little more sparkle( not easy to describe). Given a choice now for just one TV I would have the Sony 240hz as I think the scaling and deinterlacing is better.

Ron Evans

Dale Guthormsen January 26th, 2010 08:13 AM

Stelios,

When I shopped for a big screen i went over them all. without doubt Panasonic plasma and the sony's were the best to me. I thought the pany had overall better color, but one can also change that. the sony cost a fair amount more at that time so i went with the panisonic 50 inch. Have never regretted it. The plasma needs the curtains in the room closed to prevent reflections. Both are great TVs.
what did you get?

Ron Evans January 26th, 2010 08:29 AM

Reflections on the high contrast LCD's are much the same as Plasma's. Certainly my Sony 240HZ LCD and Panasonic Plasma have about the same reflection issue.

Ron Evans

Marty Welk January 26th, 2010 09:04 AM

last time i looked they had added Anti-Glare screens to the top of the plasmas.
so many of them now dont have that problem the same way they originally did.
on the other hand, there is a lot of noise about plasma failing for people who run them endlessly.

Myself I wont run a Plamsa for a continuous screen thing, because i pay some 31cents a KWH for power (at 3rd tier), which includes removeing the heat of any power consuming devices out with a poor efficency air conditioner. (california). having to remove the heat costs me double the power again.

For anyone making a home theatre, who doesnt spend thier Life with the tv on, who gets power for 5-7c a KWH like they do in the rest of the country, a Plamsa screen has capability for color and contrast that no LCD can match. Plasma is more like a CRT with light emitters, as opposed to light valve items.

Plasma Preferer, but living with LCD :-( it is also easier to lug a LCD to a Job, as they dont weigh so much.

Even if everyone stopped manufacting them, like they basically already do with CRT, they will still be the better color capable items , so if it was good it will be discontinued :-) such is life, anyone want to buy a Beta Player :-)

Marty Welk January 26th, 2010 09:26 AM

also another note:
the differences between processing engines in all of that stuff vary a LOT. so if you have to do any upscaling on the TV Itself, it will look like total garbage on ones with poor processing engines.
so i go out there shopping and they all look great, but plug in some old normal non-upscaling DVD player in them, or stuff some S signal or a Noraml video composite connect and the difference can be watchable or totally ruined.

if your going to need the device to Upscale, then bring a way to test that signal with you to the store, otherwise you get a surprise :-)

Stelios Christofides January 27th, 2010 01:00 PM

What I have decided to get is to wait and get the Panasonic 50" VT20 or the G20 depending on the price difference.

HDGURU.Com CES 2010 Report and Analysis-Part 2 Panasonic

Stelios