Small Computer issue... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Small Computer issue...

This has been going on forever, but I finally want to do something about it...

I have dual monitors set up and they are 2 different ratios and sizes... When I put up a new background, on my main monitor, it looks good. But on my second monitor, the image is not filling the screen. I have some blank spots on the top and bottom.

Anyway to fix this? Monitors are set at :
1600x900 for the main
1280x1024 for the second monitor

Thanks you guys!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Major Player

i have finnaly seen this myself, first time i had 2 monitors, and i still prefer one huge one.

if your in a Winders operating system, then go to your "Display" properties, and get into the wallpaper stuff , in XP this was called "Desktop" , then switch to Stretch for the wallpapar, then the cloned (to the other monitor) wallpaper will squeeze and stretch to the size of the resolution of the monitor.

IF you still have blank on the top/bottom or Right/left then your monitor itself will have to be changed (if it can) or the resolution that you feed that monitor will have to be changed.
because:
1) it could be incorrect for the aspect of the monitor, so therfore there are no output pixels there, to stay within aspect
2) the monitor is only capable of working in its "native" resolution and so therefore you must feed it its exact native Pixel-for-pixel resolution.
3) the monitor profile is incorrect, and you need a monitor "driver" so the correct aspect and pixels can be chosen , ASSUMING that the video card is capable of outputting such resolutions for its second monitor.
4) "list all modes" (in advanced monitors section), which will allow you to select a resolution that matches, even if you dont have the correct monitor driver for it.
5) alternativly hack the registry to set up the correct resolution , and hope the video card can display it, and the monitor can do it.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

One reason for matching monitors!

BUT if you are intermixing, make sure each monitor is set for native resolution, then you may need to adjust the monitor settings or the video card settings in Windows. Without knowing your specifc setup (and even if I did, there are too many!), that's the best guidance I can pass along - you'll need to poke around until you find something that adjusts "size and position" (usually that's the nomenclature), and then tweak until image is centered and sized.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You could try...........

"Fit to Screen" in your monitor menu(s), all the LCD's I've ever dealt with have a similar option.

If you're sending 16:9 to a 4:3 screen (or vice versa) you get a pretty weird shaped picture, but it does beat black bars.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion