Raid 0 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Raid 0 question

I was wondering if I could purchase a pci e raid controller card as follows:

Sabrent Serial SATA II 3Gbps 2-Channel 4-Port RAID & SATA II PCI Express Host Controller Card at TigerDirect.com

Use a dual docking station e sata, run raid 0 in the station and run my program and such through my desktop hard drive as a standard sata hard drive?

this card would give me three e sata ports, two through the card and one through the desktop. I assume that the desktop one would not be raid 0 as it doesn't run through the card.

would that be a reasonable configuration?? or would the non raid be a problem and should not be used if you are using the ports on the card?

My computer is aDell xps studio workstation with an I7 processor, 64 bit vista, 6gigs of ram.

Dale Guthormsen
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dale.

First, I have had no experience with this card.

Clearly you want to get the benefit of read/write speed by using RAID 0 (striped). I see by your gear list you're running Vegas and Prem Pro (1.5) - and Intel I7 quad core. I run Prem Pro CS4 with a similar setup (but more RAM and storage) using Asus P6T MoBo.

I followed the product link you provided and alarms started sounding when I saw a review of this card. Yes, for $20 it appears to be good value, giving you two additional EXTERNAL e ports for your RAID Disks.

But personally, if someone is already running Vista 64 (as you say) and a reviewer says they have had problems with this card with Vista drivers, I'd think twice.

But that's just me... Hopefully, someone else might like to offer some advice, but it's a $20 card. Provided it's shipped (or upgradeable) with the right drivers, then fine - if not, beware :)
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Claire,

I missed the review about the cista issue, will pass.

As it turns out my computer is raid ready on its own, so I only need the docking station that can run the raid, that is easy.

will probably have numerous questions later!!!

thank you for taking the time!!!!

dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion