DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Video editing software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/471846-video-editing-software.html)

Jim Bradfute January 28th, 2010 11:59 AM

Video editing software

Am new to site, so not sure this is the appropriate place to post my question. I am a total novice to camcorder use. Last experience was 40 plus years ago with 8mm when my kids were young. Now have grandkids and want to record their lives. Purchased a Cannon Vixia HF200 before Christmas and have been searching for editing software. Web searches have done more to confuse me than anything else. Have recently purchased Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate Collection ($49 with rebates) and Ultra Power Director 8 ($45) from Fry's (Both support AVCHD). Neither box has been opened and I can return by Feb. 8. These seem to be referred to fairly often in web posts. I will not be doing major editing, but want a program that is reliable, stable, easy to use, and has a reasonal range of capabilities. Would appreciate any thoughts that you might have that would guide me in a selection with these programs, or others.

Thanks for your time!

Jim Bradfute

PS - Pinnacle has green sheet capabilities - is this something I might find useful?

Bruce Phung January 28th, 2010 12:13 PM

If you want to just do simple cuts and text, transition, I find the Corel studio Pro x2 is good and extremely easy to use. I had use it for a short time but I don't like it. I guess I am used to using Vegas and I now alway use Vegas on all my project. I had trial the power Director, it ok I don;t like it either. You can try to down a trial version of Corel studio Pro x2 see if you like it or try vegas. Vegas at first will be confusing and more complex to use. BUT when you get to know Vegas, it will be all easy. Good luck

Stelios Christofides January 28th, 2010 12:30 PM

Jim
There is the new version now, VideoStudio pro x3. Try it very easy to use and has everything that you need.

HD Video Editing Software ? Corel VideoStudio Pro X3

Stelios

Rainer Listing January 28th, 2010 04:15 PM

Hi Jim, comments on editing programs tend to follow a "mother duck" pattern - when they start out, people adopt the first one they see and sing its praises. For a better appraisal, look for people who have changed to something else. I very much doubt you will find anyone in this category who has experience of Pinnacle or Cyberlink and still has a kind word to say about those (return your packages). The fact is that in the consumer bracket, Corel Pro X3 is friendly, usable and effective with some unique features, but nothing comes close to Vegas Studio Platinum.

p.s. Vegas and Corel both do "green screen", they just don't come with green screen material, which is nothing special.

Chris Barcellos January 28th, 2010 04:47 PM

I started with Pinnacle years back, and still have 12 on my machine. I went to as high as Premiere Pro 2, initially geting into that to work with a capture board.

About two years ago, I bought Vegas Platinum Movie Studio, because there was a steal of a deal. It definitely had a different feel from the other more structured editors, and for a while, I shied away from it. Seemed to me at the time there were so many ways to do the same thing in Vegas, it got a bit confusing. Then I decided to do larger project in it, and I have become a confirmed user. I did step to Vegas Pro 7 on another special deal, and I am updated to 9 now. Each upgrade has been with a great price from Vegas.
I definitely have no desire to go back to Premiere, or its Mac side cousin, Final Cut. With the available plug ins, I think you can do anything these other editors do in Vegas.

Jim Snow January 28th, 2010 05:38 PM

If you go with either Adobe Premiere Elements or Vegas Platinum Movie Studio and you decide to step up to a more powerful editor at a later date, you can select the pro version of either of these and benefit from an easy change. In either case, the pro versions have a very similar user interface.

Nelson Cole January 28th, 2010 09:39 PM

Power Director

Power Director came installed with my HP desktop. I thought it had a lot of nice features and an easy interface. I lost it when I did a clean install of Windows 7 (worth it to get rid of Vista) and have considered buying the professional (Gold?) edition because I miss it. I mostly use Adobe Premiere and Final Cut but Power Director was easy to use and fun. Wish I still had it. Might be good for your needs.

Robert M Wright January 28th, 2010 09:51 PM

Return the toy software for a refund. Download a trial copy of Edius Neo 2.5 (fully functional for 30 days). For editing AVCHD, it's a tough act to beat (and extremely stable compared to anything else mentioned).

Michael Wisniewski January 29th, 2010 01:27 AM

Jim,

For the simple editing you plan on doing definitely take a look at the "lite" versions of the major video editing software. All have downloadable trial versions:

Adobe Premiere Elements
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Canopus Edius Neo 2

If you're on a Mac:

iMovie
Final Cut Express (no trial download, progressive modes are not supported)

* My personal and very biased recommendation, is to get Sony Vegas, with Edius a close second.