Am I buying an XL1S too late in the day? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 1st, 2002, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Am I buying an XL1S too late in the day?

Hi all:
Got my G4 dual Mac last month, and I'm having a great time with it. I'm in the market for a DV camcorder - either an XL1S or a PD150 - and had more or less settled on the XL1S.
My question is: As models go, considering that the Xl1S has been out just over a year, am I buying the XL1S too late? Is it likely to be replaced by an XL2/upgrade anytime soon?
[Yes, yes, I know it's a forlorn hope to look for the latest in technology in this business, but I'd like to feel I wasn't buying the last piece in the warehouse! :-) ]
Considering the new Panasonic chips that are out - and since Canon uses Panasonic chips, or so I'm told - is a higher res XL:1S not around the corner?
Help! Chris, Ken, Jeff, everyone!
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

All I can say is I got my XL1s in Jan and my iMac last month. I'm real happy with both. There will be newer stuff coming for sure. But it will cost you more too.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

The time to buy something is when you need it. Not a year later.
There may be a replacement model out next year, there may not. Remember that XL1s hold their value well, so you should be able to sell it and recover most of your money if you want to get the "XL2" when it comes out.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The best advice I ever got regarding buying equipment. "If it will make you money NOW.. Buy it now. If you can wait till later, it will cost you less... AND be obsolete."

I don't know if you are trying to make money, or just home movies. But I still think it's good advice.

-Bill
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:36 PM   #5
Warden

I don't think you'll have any announcement on a replacement to the XL1S until April or May at the earliest (then start shipping in July or August). The latest will be Spring of 2004 and shipping that Summer. If you need a camera before next summer then you might as well start shopping.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, people:
Dylan, Bill, Jeff - yes, I will be using it immediately, and I AM trying to make money :-) So, yes, you're right, I should get it now and see about upgrades/replacements later. [See, that's why you gotta love this board! :-) ]
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:27 PM   #7
Rextilleon

Do any of you guys lease your equipement--to a certain degree it does protect you against obsolescence. Just wondering.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:40 PM   #8
Warden

No, I've never found leases to be practical on this small of a ticket item. I take the depreciation over 5 years and by then the technology has passed it by. On occasion I've leased computers (NLE work stations) and the numbers worked. But they are much larger ticket items and can have shorter life spans if your on the bleeding edge of technology.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM   #9
Major Player

You can lease a car or truck , or a dolly and lights. Cameras and editing equipment move too fast now.

I personally have a lease on some lens tissue that i might default on.
John Threat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion