DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   analog capture recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/472071-analog-capture-recommendations.html)

Zach Gold February 1st, 2010 10:59 AM

analog capture recommendations

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can recommend an analog video capture device? I'm using the latest Macbook Pro, so the lack of an Express Card slot basically limits me to H.264. However, that should be fine as I don't need a live feed (although that would be nice if anyone can think of a way) and this is analog, so compression shouldn't hurt the quality.

So far the options I've found are:

-Blackmagic Video Recorder
-Elgato Video Capture
-Canopus ADVC110 Converter Converter (this one is little fancier)

I'll be using this with input straight from a vintage analog camera (no vtr) and Max/MSP/Jitter if that factors into it.

Thanks,
Zach

Robert M Wright February 1st, 2010 12:20 PM

I assume you have a firewire port, but I don't really know Macs at all. An old MiniDV or Digi8 camcorder with DV pass-through works great for capturing analog SD video (as DV). You can pick one up cheap-a-cheap on eBay.

Zach Gold February 1st, 2010 01:03 PM

Yup, one firewire 800 port (Apple recently eliminated firewire 400). Unfortunately my miniDV camera was stolen last year and I don't think I'll be buying another. Anyway, it was pretty new so I don't recall analog video in.

Robert M Wright February 1st, 2010 01:31 PM

I doubt you'll find a more cost effective solution that's both easy and yields great quality.

Zach Gold February 1st, 2010 01:36 PM

Really? The Elgato dongle is $80.

Roger Shore February 1st, 2010 01:57 PM

Why go for the expensive Canopus card? For 'one way' analogue to DV conversion the ADVC55 is quite a lot cheaper. Locked audio and easy to edit DV.

If you're intending to do any editing, then DV is probably easier to work with than the Elgato MP4 files, I would guess.

Robert M Wright February 1st, 2010 02:18 PM

For the cost of an ADVC55 though, you could probably grab a couple old MiniDV camcorders that can do the same thing.

Robert M Wright February 1st, 2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Gold (Post 1480216)
Really? The Elgato dongle is $80.

That's not an analog capture device.

Zach Gold February 2nd, 2010 10:12 AM

Last time I checked composite and s-video were analog. I am not going the MiniDV route, so I'd appreciate any advice on the question I actually asked.

Roger, thanks for the tip. I overlooked that model when searching originally. I'm not sure if I'd really rather have DV than MP4, since I'll be processing these in Max, which doesn't like DV (ProRes is best). Still, the Canopus does seem to have the best reviews and I'm wondering if I'd get better quality capturing to DV first and then compressing in software.

Can I at least eliminate the Blackmagic device from consideration? I know they have an excellent reputation, but still don't understand why it is so expensive.

Robert M Wright February 2nd, 2010 05:57 PM

Do they have two devices? The one I was looking at was a transcoder essentially.

Shaun Roemich February 2nd, 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Gold (Post 1480637)
so I'd appreciate any advice on the question I actually asked.

Please take this critique in the spirit in which it's offered:
Considering the fact that you are new to DVi AND have asked for advice from the forum, perhaps being a little more cautious of how you posts READ might be in your best interests. I know we all get frustrated when we don't get the answer immediately we are looking for but anyone who is offering input is doing so out of the goodness of their own heart.

AND good luck finding the solution that works for you!

Robert M Wright February 2nd, 2010 11:48 PM

Some folks just gotta learn the hard way. That's okay. I learned my fair share of stuff the hard way too.

Glenn Davidson February 3rd, 2010 01:00 AM

I would consider the Canopus. I have an ADVC 300 and it is excellent. Easy to use and provides stable, clean, nice looking video. Well worth the cost. The camcorder option is weak in my opinion.