Filter Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filter Recommendations

So I'm about to pick up an HMC40 and would like some of your input on filters. Plans are to eventually get some sort of filter holding matte box solution, but until then I'll rock some 43mm screw ons.

Now my questions are as follows. I've always come to the conclusion that Tifen makes decent filters, especially their standard UV filter, however, for something like a polarizer should I step it up a notch and grab a B+W?

Then the next question stems from that one, do you recommend a circular polarizer, or a linear? I'll be doing a lot of outdoor automotive shooting and need to remove glare from glas and wheels as much as possible, so I'd be willing to rock something a little nicer if anyone has a specific filter they've had a lot of luck with.

Finally, so things like the Schneider Black/White frosts make that much of a difference? The "sample" images on B&H are pretty terrible.

Thanks

Paul
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Paul,

Schneider offers both our B+W brand and Schneider brand for your camera. The naming depends on the type of filter.

You can use a linear polarizer on your camera. All of our tests show that a linear polarizer does not intefere with the image on your camera but may on others. If you want to be 100% safe, you can buy a circular polarizer for a little more money.

B+W UV filters are made from water-white Schott glass made in Germany and feature up to 99.8% light transmission. The competitive filters go as low as 89% light transmission because they use Soda Lime glass instead of water-white clear glass.

Black Frost is a type of diffusion filter that effects high frequency details. It can blend wrinkles and blemished but should not be used on HD cameras like your above a 1/4 strength because the material in the filter can cause image banding at higher densities. The most popular strength is 1/8 by most TV Series and Feature Films. This filter will create a more "filmic" look.

The other diffusion filter to consider is our HD Classic Soft which will soften skin blemishes and wrinkles and will affect resolution. This is best for taking the hard edge off of HD footage. I recommend the 1/2 or 1 strength for most applications.

The best of both worlds is our Hollywood Black Magic filter which is a combination of the HD Classic Soft and the Black Frost and will give a nice subtly stated diffusion look without the need for tweaking in post. The #1 is the best selling strength for this filter.

I hope that helps.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Paul,

I also forgot to mention that B+W polarizers feature a extinction ratio of 374 which makes them 12x more effective than the other brand you mentioned at polarizing light. This is very important when you are shooting in conditions other than high noon where polarization can be difficult.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Why thank you much good sir. Great info, I think B+W it is for my filters it is then.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion