Best video player for web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best video player for web

Hi,

I need something to play my vids on for my website. I was thinking about this JW Players | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player

Any other suggestions?

thanks
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Lee why not just use You Tube or Vimeo and embed the videos from them.

The hardest part of web video is the streaming hosting as the player you have sent the link for it just the front end presentation, you need some major server grunt to host and deal with the video stream.

You tube is very good quality now and you can set up a channel and then embed the videos you want in your web site, the main problems with you tube is the rights issues but vimeo is better and you can sign up for a plus service that will give you good quality video hosting that can also be embeded.

Hope this helps.
Gary
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Trustee

P.S Just had a look at your web site and you are already using vimeo so I am not sure what you are after here?

As I said that player you highlighted is just te front end you will need to sort out a video server and that isnt very cost affective if all you want is a few clips.

There are bespoke services available and the test north east IPTV site I set up two years ago uses:Streaming video hosting and publishing services - Streaming Video Provider - Online business video publishing, video streaming, on demand and live flash video, pay per view video services

This allows us to control the streaming and maintain all rights to our material you can see how we are using it here:iNorthEast.tv

As I said you may already have all you need with vimeo but if you tell me more I can see if I can help you further, you will also see that on my www.HDProductionSolutions.com site that I use you tube for my own hosting in full 720p HD
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

yeah I know about vimeo and youtube but am building a website now which will have the video at about 800px wide and 600 high.

It was just for aesthetics really, I don't like the layout of those players. It won't fit the design of my site.

I hadn't considered the backend though. I guess I will have to use one of these as I won't be making money while away

arghh
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes Lee you might aswell just use vimeo or you tube as a dedicated video streaming service will cost you around £3k a year, the streaming vid provider is a solution that is pay per view but as you tube now offers HD and the ability to re-size the window it is the best quality and most cost affective solution.
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hughes View Post
yeah I know about vimeo and youtube but am building a website now which will have the video at about 800px wide and 600 high.
Just change the width and height parameters for your Vimeo embeds to 800 and 600...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion