DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   transfering Hi8 to dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/473185-transfering-hi8-dvd.html)

Lalo Alvidrez February 19th, 2010 12:32 AM

transfering Hi8 to dvd

What is the best way to transfer hi 8 tapes to pc. I had a pani that I used to record an incoming signal to minidv and go that way but pani is out. I have a vx2100 and don't know if I could use that to capture. any other ideas? I have the hi 8 cam to play the tapes.

Marty Welk February 19th, 2010 04:52 AM

bestest would be to play it with a D8 (digital 8mm) camera, as they have DV out, you can even get one with built in TBC, and they will play Hi-8 tapes.

using your 2100 should work ok too if there isnt a lot of problems with the tape, where there are "time base errors" problems with perfect sync of the tape due to fluxuations in head speed when recording (usually caused by wild camera moves) or bad dropout areas, or bad tape.
Just use the 2100 as the A-D converter, which sony was so good at allowing/leaving in the camera. feed the analog in one side, mabey switch one thing in the Menu, and get the DV digital out the other.

Various Capture boards that will go in the PC, and allow for analog input signals. because HD is becomming popular, those older (but PRO) SD boards will be sellling for lower prices.
Those really nasty little Video To USB capture boards, that usually dont do a very good job at all.

Adam Gold February 19th, 2010 02:06 PM

If you go the D8 route, make sure before you buy that the cam will play Hi8. Not all D8 cams do.

Lalo Alvidrez March 11th, 2010 03:10 AM

I have the hi8 cam to play the tapes on and can patch it to my vx2100 and it plays just fine. Problem is how do I get to the pc without having to record to mini dv on my vx2100? I can record it then transfer from minidv but would rather do it all at once. Will it transfer to pc as it records to the minidv? Hope I don't have to double the work but if i do then i do.

Daniel Epstein March 11th, 2010 08:30 AM

Some equipment does pass through the signal from the source to the firewire port. (ie my DSR-45) So if I go in sVHS my edit program (Final Cut) can capture the converted video. Not sure what your set up will do.

Jay Massengill March 11th, 2010 10:04 AM

Many capture and/or editing programs will allow you to capture from the firewire input without needing to control the tape transport. You just have to select the correct setting to start capturing the pass-through signal without the software wanting to also control the tape transport via firewire.
I used ScenAlyserLive a lot in the past for this type of capture as well as capturing from tape.
Video Capture Software and Scene Detection - Scenalyzer

Lalo Alvidrez March 11th, 2010 04:23 PM

Well I currently use Vegas 8.0 so if anyone knows if that will work lemme know please.