mpeg 2 to dvd degradation issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Tourist

mpeg 2 to dvd degradation issue

using studio 14 i have edited and created a mpeg2 file of hd footage from a canon hf20 camcorder. if i play the file on media player or quicktime it's excellent, smooth 1080i quality. my problem is when i burn it to a dvd using windows 7 dvd creator i seem to be losing a level of quality ... like going down a generation. is there a way to avoid this? maybe a better dvd making program? any help would be appreciated.
p.s.... all prior projects were done in liquid 7 and i never had this problem ... but liquid will not run right in windodws 7 hence the temporary switch to the lower end program.
thanks again
Dave Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #2
New Boot

HD to DVD

You are trying to take high definition video and make it standard definition DVD using Windows 7 Movie Maker? If so you will need some more robust tools to do this. You will need something that will downscale the video to an acceptable quality. I am still shooting SD because my clients want the final product in DVD.
Troy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dave,

DVD Creator is probably rescaling AND re-compressing your footage. You might get better results if you export from Studio 14 in SD (so that DVD creator doesn't have to scale it). Also use the highest possible quality settings in the AVI or WMV format, not compressing to MPEG-2. The less compression you have going into DVD Creator, the better the results will be.

I hate that companies make consumer software so much of a pain to use. They force the user to find workarounds for simple things that pro software does automatically. I hope Liquid gets up and running for you soon on Windows 7.
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion