DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Do you find it impossible to edit... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/474253-do-you-find-impossible-edit.html)

Ray Barber March 6th, 2010 10:41 AM

Do you find it impossible to edit...

...when someone is fussing around you? My wife is tidying up bedrooms in preparation for a family visit. It's bad enough that I can hear her fidgiting away but she keeps bothering me with "Do we need to keep this?" and "What's this off?"

I don't think it helps that I'm using CS4 for the first time and I'm not enjoying what I am editing.

Vito DeFilippo March 6th, 2010 01:14 PM

Believe it or not, I work in the entrance hallway of the house, as I lost my office when my first son was born.

I feel your pain. I tend to do a lot after everyone's asleep. You can compain about the noise, but really, it's hard to expect people to be quiet around you when it's in the middle of the house.

Start working when other's are sleeping, or find a place to work that's not in the middle of everything. Not much else you can do.

Ray Barber March 6th, 2010 03:26 PM

Couldn't your son go in the hall Vito? :) It's nice and peaceful here now and I've finished the edit. I normally have this part of the house to myself, which is probably why I noticed the distractions.

Michael Wisniewski March 6th, 2010 09:46 PM

I'm the opposite, I like having light activity around me while I edit. Helps me think. But yeah family is distracting, I'd rather have a quiet room than have family in the background, or I won't be able to focus properly.

Vito DeFilippo March 6th, 2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Barber (Post 1495908)
Couldn't your son go in the hall Vito? :)

I tried, but my wife objected.

We're putting an addition on the house soon. It's getting cramped in here. Too many kids!

Ray Barber March 7th, 2010 06:25 AM

Too many kids!

You're not doing enough night-time editing :)

Andrew Smith March 7th, 2010 08:29 AM

Perhaps a shed in the back yard would help? (not with kid production, though)

Andrew

Robert Turchick March 7th, 2010 09:19 AM

This is a perfect thread!
I have 3 boys under age 5 and I was recently "evicted" to the room next to the garage!

I used to be in the room next to the front door which had 12' sloped ceiling and the walls were angled. Awesome acoustically with some minor treatment. Problem was the noise with the boys and my wife yelling at them made it impossible to get anything done whether editing or a simple phone call!

Now I'm in a shoebox with low ceiling and terrible acoustics HOWEVER, it is away from where the boys create their chaos. I do seem to be much more productive! The other problem is my wife works evenings (nurse) and most of my editing is done 9pm-whenever I can't take it anymore! That could be the other reason I seem to crank the work out pretty quickly! Is this the beginning of a "dads who edit" support group? HaHa!

Vito DeFilippo March 7th, 2010 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Barber (Post 1496085)
You're not doing enough night-time editing :)

Har, har. I'm not going there!

I will say, however, that in the grand scheme of things, editing pales in significance to what my children have given me in my life. Attached is my five month old, Luca, sleeping on my lap this morning. This stuff can't be beat.

Andrew Smith March 7th, 2010 09:48 AM

Aww ... just as I was about to suggest the use of ear plugs.

Andrew

Robert Turchick March 7th, 2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1496122)
Har, har. I'm not going there!

I will say, however, that in the grand scheme of things, editing pales in significance to what my children have given me in my life. Attached is my five month old, Luca, sleeping on my lap this morning. This stuff can't be beat.

Very cute!

And I'm laughing inside 'cause they're all cute at that age. Check back in a year or two! My youngest, 22 months, can scale objects and seemingly walls like Spiderman and I have tried EVERY babyproofing system/method out there with no success. I had to go outside the box and put door chains on all the important rooms and when he was a year old even tried cooking spray on the edges of the counters so he couldn't get a grip. A couple days later, he started moving chairs to aid his climbing obsession.

BUT you're right...kids are a fantastic thing. I just hope I have enough hard drive space to archive all the video and pics I will be collecting for the rest of their lives!

Vito DeFilippo March 7th, 2010 10:37 AM

Sounds like it might be time to reprise Danger Baby:

http://www.nosmallroles.com/felix_jeff_fun_h264.mov

My first son at 20 months (he's almost 4 now) with my stepson, then 8. I made this to scare the crap out of my relatives, and succeeded admirably.

Sorry to derail your thread, Ray, but you seemed happy to go off course yourself!

Andrew Smith March 8th, 2010 01:19 AM

Wow. That's perfect "21st birthday" material!

Andrew

Ray Barber March 8th, 2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1496143)
Sounds like it might be time to reprise Danger Baby:

http://www.nosmallroles.com/felix_jeff_fun_h264.mov

My first son at 20 months (he's almost 4 now) with my stepson, then 8. I made this to scare the crap out of my relatives, and succeeded admirably.

Sorry to derail your thread, Ray, but you seemed happy to go off course yourself!

Excellent Vito. I posted a clip on youtube of my 3 year old grandson going down a BMX ramp on his bike. I took so much flack from the "wrap 'em in cotton wool" brigade that I took it off. I wouldn't put that on youtube if I were you. The blender was brilliant. :)

Andrew Smith March 8th, 2010 06:15 AM

On the other hand, I'm the sort of person who would wear fur to a protest rally ... on purpose!

:-)

Andrew