burning hd to dvd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Major Player

burning hd to dvd?

Ok so heres the deal, why is that when I burn hdv projects to dvd, they dont play properly on all dvd players (I get skipping and disc freezes) Its never a proplem on the newer players, only the older ones. Is this a problem thats typical when burning 1440X1080 to dvd. I shoot with the Canon XHA1 my nle (Pinnacle12) catures the files with mpeg2 compession and I capture as dv 1440x1080. Any thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Might be a dvd+ vs dvd- issue, I allways make dvd+r but sometimes, especially with older players they cause skipping, but when I make a dvd-r instead they play just fine.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I think we need some more info here.

DVDs are SD only UNLESS you are doing HD-DVD or BD on DVD (encoding using HD-DVD or BD file structures on DVD for playback on the appropriate HD set top device ie. NOT a DVD player).

What are you authoring your DVDs with? Is that program looking after the MPEG-2 elemental stream encoding? If not, where is it being encoded? Is the bitrate 8mbps or lower?
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Shaun:

The end result that I am looking for is indeed an sd video. I shot the footahe in hdv and edited in my time line as such. I simply want to take that product, and put it on a dvd that can be playd by all players. I am not sure of the bit rate as that system has all its own default setting unless they are changed, which I dont do. From what I understand, the default settings are the optimzed bitrate. I just cant help but wonder is the problem the fact that they are HDV files burned to a dvd. Any authoring is done within the same program.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

"is the problem the fact that they are HDV files burned to a dvd"

No, your nle just converts it into a format dvd player can read, has nothing to do with the hdv format, what Shaun was refering to with the bitrate could be a problem when that is too high. Normally 8mbs can be read by all dvd players but higher then that could cause problems.

I take it that Pinnacle get's the settings right if it's done automaticly, you can check the bitrate by reading the vob files on your dvd with mediainfo: "http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/nl"

My guess is still an incompatibility issue with + or -r that certain players can't handle correctly.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Look at the media, personally I always use DVD-R, also look at the bitrate. I try never to go over 8mbs, but depending on the length of the video the DVD spec will go just over 9 for video. 9.3 or something like that. I read along time ago that going over 8 can cause skipping and other issues. Another thing I do is try not to totally fill up the DVD. I try to go only to 95% of the useable 4.3 gb space.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I burn SD dvd on + discs all down from HDV. Defintely Over 8 will cause issues!!!
It took me awhile to figure that one out, major anxiety as I was on a time frame too!

You can download a bit rate calculator for free off the web! there are several available

Bitrate Calculator

Sense I lowered the bit rate all the dvd's play on old or new players.

Something I always thought was weird with older dvd players was, the more expensive they were the less likely the would play all home authored discs!!

With todays players that should not be a problem, they are cheap. LOL

dale guthormsen

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion