what should i do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:17 AM   #1
New Boot

what should i do?

I just purchased a GL2, without really paying attention to the panny DVX100 craze that has been going on. Now i'm wondering if i should get rid of it on ebay quickly and save some cash and purchase the DVX100.

Is it really worth it? I've rooted through the DVX100 board, and i cant seem to find a clear answer (i have yet to find a post in which DVX100 users are simply going crazy over the insanely beautiful quality the camera offers). I gotta say that i'm skeptical for several reasons: I chose not to purchase a GL2 PAL camera because i dont want to deal with all the problems that arrise with not being able to show my work simply on an NTSC television. I am not planning on transferring anything i do on such low budget cameras to film anyway - does this render the camera's main benefits useless?

ultimately, i want to know whether the 24fps non-interlaced look i s REALLY that much better. We're talking "an extra thousand dollars" better than what Canon has to offer. What about the 30fps? Ive read numerous reviews online, but people seem more often underwhelmed or then overwhelmed ("it's good" rather than "its freakin great"). If everyone is iffy about this answer, then it really doesnt seem to constitute spending an extra thou on the Panasonic.

Also - Panasonic has never been my choice of manufacturer. When are Sony and Canon catching up with the 24 fps crowd?

gimme some cold hard answers! what should i do? i really only want to spend the money if its absolutely noticeably worth it.
nick

ps - Mods, feel free to move this post where it should go (though i think posting it in either the GL2 or AGDVX100 board will just return biased answers).
Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:50 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Most people who have one, seem to like it. I haven't had a chance to see one yet. They were supposed to be out Oct. 10 here in Vancouver, but its still a no show. Dealers are wondering what's going on with Pana.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've read some who say it looks just like 16mm film (not right out the box but with some tweaking) but like Frank I've yet to see it. I've already made up my mind to buy if I can get the money. If it's not what I want I'll return it but based on what people I read and respect are saying this is a great cam for my purposes (indie filmmaker). Some people have complained about fringing but I haven't heard many of these complaints. I haven't read any post from people who said they bought it and were disappointed. I think the reason no one's really getting hyped over this camera once they get it is the fun is in the anticipation and taking it out the box and trying it out, after that it's business as usual and life goes on, know what I mean? Some people have gotten the camera and fielded questions. I know Stephan had to sale his and was truly disappointed about that. I'd try to get one if I were you but the real question you need to ask is yourself is does what you're doing call for 24p. The big reason most indie filmmakers want it if film tranfer and the 24p look straight to video or DVD. If you don't need the 24p functions then there's no real reason for you to not keep your GL-2. If I can't get the DVX100 I'll probably get a GL-2 also, so you'll be in good company.

-Vinson
Vinson Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Vinson,

I live and work in Chicago. You are more than welcome to come and take a look at my Panasonic AGDVX100.

Ted
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 04:04 PM   #5
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"I've read some who say it looks just like 16mm film (not right out the box but with some tweaking)"

i've seen it and IMO it does NOT look like 16mm ...
i do like the 30P and the 60i is very good... person that want that "just in case " or intent of going to film will welcome the 24P ...

"i want to know whether the 24fps non-interlaced look i s REALLY that much better"

when you view the 24P on your TV it is INTERLACE .. NTSC is 29.97fps not 24fps so the camera adds fields (3:2) so the frame rate equals 29.97 ... you will only see 24fps if you go to FILM .
REMEMBER any viewing of a NTSC signal is 29.97 ..even if you make a 24fps DVD when it is shown on your TV or projected a 3:2 will be added so you are NEVER seeing true 24P .. only when transferred to film will you see a true 24P ...

"I am not planning on transferring anything i do on such low budget cameras to film anyway - does this render the camera's main benefits useless?"

IMO keep the GL2 .. the 24P is not worth the extra 1000 if you have no intention on going to film .. the GL2 is a good camera.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 05:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

Ditto what Donatello said.

I'd keep the GL2.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion