Feedback and validation. Wedding video kit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Feedback and validation. Wedding video kit.

In my quest to assemble the bestest for the leastest this is what I've come up with. I think it's solid, but it never hurts to have extra pairs of eyes look at it.
  • Sony DSR-PD170 3-CCD Mini DVCAM Camcorder
  • Sony HVR-MRC1 Memory Recording Unit
  • Sony AC-L100 AC Power Adapter / Quick Charger
  • Pearstone NP-F975 Lithium-Ion Battery (X2)
  • Manfrotto TRIREMOTEKIT Aluminum Video Tripod Kit
  • Lexar 16GB UDMA 300x CompactFlash Card (X2)
  • Azden FMX-32 3-Channel Microphone Field Mixer
  • Sennheiser E614 Super-Cardioid Microphone
  • Audio-Technica AT897 Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone
  • Audio-Technica 3-Pin XLR Male to 3-Pin XLR Angled Female Balanced Cable - 1.5'
  • Comprehensive Touring Series Lo-Z Microphone Cable 25' (X2)
  • K&M 23770 Carbon Fiber Four-Section Boom Pole (Black)
  • DIY Blimp
  • MoreMe Deluxe headphones (x2)
  • Impact Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - Black, 13'
  • Photoflex Heavy Duty Swivel Mount with Reversible Stud
  • 60" umbrella
  • PAR 38 LED flood* (1,000 lumen / 5700K) (x2) mounted on a T-Bar
  • Universal 12V 75AH AGM battery

'Preciate the feedback... if any.

*Fixtures coming out of San Diego, not available to the general market yet.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Trustee

This is for weddings?

First of all, why the PD170? Great camera in its day, but now outdated with no HD ability, no native 16:9. I'd go with a used Z1 before that, or a new NXCAM (HXR-NX5U), which looks like a great wedding camera.

Boom? Forget it. You'll never boom sound at a wedding, so you won't need the blimp, mixer or second pair of headphones. Instead, look at stand alone digital voice recorders like the Olympus models (do a search on DVINFO) and use a lapel mic (try GiantSquid). Put one on the groom, one on the podium for speeches. You might consider another for getting backup sound at ceremonies and receptions by plugging into the dj board (ZOOM H2, H4N, something like that).

Lighting kit? You'll get other opinions, but I think it's useless. Get a good on camera light, and a good low light camera and you'll be fine for receptions.

The tripod unit looks like an acceptable entry level one. I wouldn't go any cheaper, that's for sure.

Search and browse on DVINO for this stuff. It's all been discussed a million times. Good luck building your kit.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great advice, thank you.

The lights would be primarily for the reception, thanks for the heads up on the audio. I'm afraid the NX5U is quite beyond my financial reach at this time.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Same comment about the pd170, I have owned a vx2100 which produces the same image quality, compared to my xh-a1 there is a clearly visible sharpness difference when viewed on a lcd screen (output on dvd). The pd is a 4:3 camera that letterboxes to get 16:9, you"ll loose too much resolution and in these day's of big lcd screens it will notice for sure. I"d go for a second hand hdv camera if I would have a limited budget.

If you buy an on camera light, make sure it's dimmable.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheeler View Post
Great advice, thank you.

The lights would be primarily for the reception, thanks for the heads up on the audio. I'm afraid the NX5U is quite beyond my financial reach at this time.
No worries. With the money you save not getting boom, extra headphones, lighting kit, blimp, etc, you might be able to afford the NX5U.

Or like I said, a second hand Z1. I've seen them go as low as $2000 lately, which is crazy cheap for such a good camera.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mark -
Put in some time in the Wedding and event section here, you'll find most if not all the answers as to what people are using in "live fire" conditions.

Offhand I think you're speding $$ on a lot of things you'll never use, and trying to stretch the budget by skimping on the camera...

You need 2 things -

A decent, reasonably state of the art HD camera (if the NX5 is too much, look at the FX1000 or an HMC150, if those are too much, then you may need to look at some higher end "consumer" cams to start - it isn't great, but will do the trick - there are a few of us making it work). The suggestion of a used Z1U isn't bad, and they are coming down a lot with the switch from tape to flash recording. Not the "best" in low light, but... remember you also need a BACKUP CAMERA if something goes south. Used Z1's and V1U's can be had pretty cheap of late, and with a bit of on camera lighting, you'll survive.

And you need good audio - the suggested Olympus, or the old standby iRiver with a lav mic will do for ceremonies, and a wireless can be handy, with qualifications...

If you're coming into doing weddings "cold", a few hours perusing the W/E section of DVi is the best possible thing you could do before spending a dime...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion