How do you film websites on monitors without getting lines? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you film websites on monitors without getting lines?

Hi,

I'm having to shoot websites on computer monitors but regularly get vertical or 'swirly' lines. They look pretty bad when watched back on a monitor but when exported as quicktime/wmv files theyre terrible.

Its not that old type of rolling you sometimes get on tv screens its thin lines. I'm using a dsr 450 and have tried different shutter speeds and ECS but still get the lines. They are less prominent when zoomed further out or a touch out of focus. But i know there must be a way of shooting without getting them at all, any tips would be appreciated.

Neil
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you shooting a CRT or an LCD? If it's a CRT, then the scan rate of the monitor and camera aren't matching properly. If it's an LCD, then you might be seeing moiré lines. There's no way to get rid of them, other than being a little out of focus.

Why don't you just use a screen recording software? You will get a higher quality image anyway.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've just googled Moire lines/patterns and thats what i'm getting! So there's nothing I can do about that except going a touch out of focus? I'll look at that software you mentioned.

In terms of CRT or LCDs, then i think its mainly lcds. i've only just discovered the ECS so will practice on a CRT monitor. But from memory, whatever monitor I've been filming the lines are definitly more prominant the clearer focus i have.

Thanks Edward
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For the record I can't use my 7D for over the shoulder PC operator/monitor type shots (corporate video type stuff) because of terrible moire/aliasing but often need to do this type of shot - and can do it perfectly well with my EX3.

Full raster is the business!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion