DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Has this ever happened to you? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/475724-has-ever-happened-you.html)

Mike Juhl March 27th, 2010 05:25 PM

Has this ever happened to you?

I just got done shooting a two camera interview. I set up camera 1 on the couple being interviewed and camera 2 on the person asking the questions. I am working by myself, so I get each of the shots framed in each of the cameras, hit record and... action! All goes well, good audio etc...
I get home, capture the footage and see that I am in the shot on camera 2 reflected in the mirror behind the interviewer!!! Of all the places to stand I picked the one in the perfect position be reflected in the mirror. While I was shooting I would occasionally check cam 2, and of course, wasn't in the shot because I moved! Aaaaahhh!
The mirror is in the upper LH corner of the frame so maybe I can crop or zoom in ....I dunno. Videography can be quite the adventure. Just thought I'd share...

Daniel J. Brant March 27th, 2010 06:05 PM

Had a similar thing happen on a short film I worked on. It was a handheld shot that followed a couple of characters around an environment. I'd lit it with lots of pockets of light for them to move through- looked really good and made use of our limited resources. But I was using a low res LCD to frame with and didn't see that on all the takes, my shadow- and the distinctive silhouette of my Aussie traveller's hat- were cast on one of the walls for a moment!

Neither the director, the editor or myself noticed until we viewed a rough cut on a decent monitor. And it was the director that noticed- the editor, who'd been staring at this stuff for weeks, hadn't spotted it. The good news is audiences didn't notice. Or care. But we probably could have messed around with the grading or painted it out if we were so inclined.

A reflection's a bit more obtrusive so cropping or digitally painting out might be in order (if the shot's static, you might get away with that one), but don't worry- it happens to us all at some point!

Bryan Cantwell March 27th, 2010 07:31 PM

One thing I know I would try would be to take a still from one of the shots that you're not reflected in, and crop that down to just the corner with the mirror and lay that over your video so that the still of 'no reflection' is covering the video with 'reflection'. If the shot is static, it should work nicely!

Robert Turchick March 27th, 2010 08:19 PM

I had a light and stand that were reflected in a window. We didn't see it because the info on the camera's lcd was covering it! Now that I use a field monitor, much easier to catch that kind of stuff.
Easy fix in post since it was a static shot.

One of those really annoying things!

I've also had to remove light switches, even had to change the color of a motorcycle from yellow to red. (subject was a Honda sponsored rider!) Had to remove a logo from a t-shirt the subject was wearing. Hardest was painting out a wireless mic transmitter. The actress wasn't supposed to turn but did and that was the take the client liked. I think it was only 100 frames long! Probably more but those were the fun ones!

Ah the joys of post!

Mike Juhl March 28th, 2010 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I'm not alone :)

Bryan, thanks for the tip on using a still overlay. I think that just might do the trick!

Steve Rusk March 29th, 2010 07:28 AM

Bryan's suggestion has worked for me a couple of times. FCP makes it pretty easy, especially with the 8 point garbage matte.

I hate unmanned 2 camera shoots because you never know what's going to happen when you walk away. Just did one with a vip last week, and didn't relax until I saw the tape.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2010 09:45 AM

There's always too many things to remember when working alone, but if you look at any mirrors around your shooting location and can see a camera in the mirror, it may also be able to see YOU.
I agree with using a freeze frame without the reflection as an overlay. If possible I would matte it down to just the shape of the mirror itself. That will make it less likely to show any difference with the rest of the scene, such as white balance shifts that can happen over the course of the shoot. For example if you're using AWB and fluorescent lights are present or you're using a set WB and there is light coming in from outside with changing sun and clouds.
You may have to make the matte in photo editing software outside of your NLE if the mirror has an unusual shape or is at an angle and your NLE is limited in the shape of masks it can generate.