DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Time Lapse Video settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/475876-time-lapse-video-settings.html)

David Cleverly March 30th, 2010 07:30 AM

Time Lapse Video settings

Hi all,

A client has asked that I shoot some time lapse vision of their new production line internals being assembled. I have never done any time lapse before so I was wondering what settings/intervals I should run to get a decent video of the plant coming together.

1 frame every...............???

Would appreciate any guidance.

By the way I am looking at getting a Samsung HMX-U10 to do the shooting for me although being in Australia we are PAL and I understand this shoots in NTSC 30p.

Any better suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Adam Gold March 30th, 2010 11:00 AM

As has been discussed before, the best way to do real time lapse is to use a DSLR. Video camcorders generally can't shoot a single frame -- certainly no HD formats with long GOPs can.

David Chilson March 30th, 2010 01:21 PM

Adam is right. Here is an example I did with the T2i over the weekend. It was 1 frame every 5 seconds with a 1/30th shutter speed put into a 24 fps timeline. I time stretched the ending to slow it down. Using a slower shutter speed makes it less choppy. I also used a polarizing filter.

YouTube - Pen Rear Utube.mp4

David Cleverly March 30th, 2010 04:51 PM

Thanks guys for the replies...

I have a EOS550D but would not be keen on leaving it on location as it will be there for such a long time unsupervised.

So, for the moment, let's forget the DSLR...

If I do decide to use the Samsung, what settings should I use to capture the process of setting up the production line successfully inside the warehouse?

I just learned that this needs to be shot over 4 weeks.

The brief is: "We need 2 minutes of vision taken from the 4 weeks it will take to put it all together".

Cheers,

David

Mark Watson March 31st, 2010 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David,

This camera only does time lapse at 1280x720 60p.
Also, although it records in NTSC only, video out is selectable as NTSC or PAL, so it should be compatible with whatever you connect it to for viewing.

It looks like your choices might be limited in what kind of timing settings you can set it up for. From the manual, it appears that each push of the the button rotates the recording interval through 1 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec and back to 1 sec. I might be wrong. It does the same thing with the total record time settings: 24Hr, 72Hr, or 48Hr. Have a look at the manual excerpt I attached and see what you think.

You'd need to have it connected to an AC power source and then probably check it every day to swap out memory cards.

Lastly, just because it only costs $127 doesn't mean it won't grow legs when you're not around to keep an eye on it.

Good luck,

Mark