DVD Studio Pro.....HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Studio Pro.....HELP!

What am I doing wrong? After I have compressed my footage, imported the assets, simulated the video and audio I burn the disk and it will only play on my MAC. I keep getting disc error when I put the disc into a regular dvd player?

I am new to this...anyone...can you help me out?

kat
Kat Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What kind of blank media are you using the make the disc?

How is the disc set up for when you put it in? Is there a menu, or is it supposed to play a track immediately?

In my experience, the two factors above are the most common culprits for this sort of thing. Next would be the way the video files were compressed. Did you use Compressor to make the MPEG-2 files?
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I used Compressor....

and the blank media is pleomax(samsung) dvd-r16x....

I'm in Mexico so there isn't a lot I can get here!!! In one instance I am just compressing 60 min of raw footage..no buttons or menus They just want to see the footage on a dvd!

Thanks Mark!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I hate to say this, but I think it's the media. I did a quick search for that brand, and I saw piles of problems creating DVD (video) discs with it. DVD-ROMS for the computer seem to work fine.

My guess is that using higher-end (Apple-recommended) media will solve the problem. Do you have the time to order some? I've been through this same exact problem. I used to only use Apple's rebranded Pioneer discs, but then they discontinued those.

Apparently these days, the Verbatim ones are the best choice. Can you get your hands on some of those?
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
No menus. Did you set the Track as First Play in Inspector with the Disc selected?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Media, first play

Hey Guys!
I tried switching the media, to Verbatum and even used my Lacie external burner. I also set the first play to track one. I am not sure what you mean by "to the Disc"??? All the cd's play on my Mac dvd player but still not on a regular dvd player. (yes I checked the dvd player...it works)!

Any other suggestions? I set the end jump to track one.

Thanks for your help!
kat
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Kat,

You aren't trying to do an HD-DVD are you? Those will definitely only play on your Mac and will never play on a set top.

Good luck!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ahhh...

It was a combination of two things! I was not deleting the menu and yes I still had the setting for HD from my last project!

Thanks Guys! I like this forum!

kat
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Major Player

re:

Hi Kat. A quick recommendation on DVDs. I do a lot of DVD burning and have a friend who owns a company that does DVD reproduction. He says hands down the best discs are a brand called Taiyo Yuden DVD -R. I buy them in bulk from websites like meritline.com . I searched around for awhile after having the DVD works in this player, but not in this player problems with clients, and these have been the answer.

And no I'm not affiliated with the company or anything along those lines. Just a solid rec.

p.s. Another workaround when you can't get DVDs to burn right in DVDSP is to output an ISO file from DVDSP, and then have a program like Toast burn that to a disc.

Last edited by Josh Hayes; April 3rd, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added the p.s.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion