video production technology overview at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

video production technology overview

Hey Everyone,

After returning time and time again to this forum each time I find out about a new piece of equipment I'll need on my next project, I wonder, is there anything that even approaches trying to catalogue or overview the major types of equipment used in production?

Sure you could wade through tons of posts and after months of reading the forum I've got a much wider perspective on the technology involved. But is there a book, webpage, thread, DVD, or anything that tries to do an overview of the various technologies involved in production? Let me know if you can think of anything. Thanks!

- Shawn
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This entire site. We've laid it at your feet, but we can't spoon feed you. Just roll up your sleeves and dig in.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not asking to be "spoon fed", im just looking for people to recommend other more abbreviated ways of getting a quick look at all the technology involved in production.

I already credited this forum with greatly widening my perspective, but i simply dont have the time to go through each forum one by one and do hundreds of hours of reading to get a decent idea of the technology being used in "audio" for example.

There exists no sort of resource that would categorize production audio into groups of technologies and uses?, such as:

microphones - wired mics - (typically used for)(popular industry models)
- wireless mics - (typically used for)(popular industry models)
- boundary mics - (typically used for)(popular industry models)

cables - 3-pin XLR - (typically used for)(popular industry models)
- etc...
- etc...
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Whiting View Post
but i simply dont have the time to go through each forum one by one and do hundreds of hours of reading to get a decent idea of the technology being used in "audio" for example.
Whereas back in the "bad" old days before web forums, we waited patiently for our monthly periodicals to arrive so we could scoop up as much information as the printed page would offer. May I remind you that those of us that you would like the answers from HAVE invested hundreds (and more often than not THOUSANDS) of hours acquiring our knowledge.

Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes but there has been a recent influx of "noobies" posting "demanding" an answer with their very first post without becoming part of the community (current company excluded, of course) without recognizing just HOW VAST the base of knowledge is here and how LEARNED those that provide it are.

Forgive me if this sounds like pandering but every day I thank Chris for providing this resource free of charge to all to use.

I would respectfully suggest that a combination of:
- reading this website;
- becoming friendly with your local retailer and attending trade shows; and
- participating in open informational sharing with colleagues (local and virtual)
would allow you to acquire the knowledge you seek AND contribute back to the community.

Just my 2 cents as a guy that answers more questions on here than he asks these days...
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

And if you have SPECIFIC questions, there is a Google Search dialog box at the bottom of each page that allows you to search DVi for keywords.
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Well, it's mission-critical to our success that we always remain "noobie" friendly, although I don't think Shawn should be categorized as such. The task of organizing a such a daunting flow of information as constantly dynamic as this market is would require a number of full-time people, and I just don't have that kind of budget (yet). Meanwhile, I think good old-fashioned books remain the best source of compact and concise information. Try our recommended reading list for starters:

DV Info Net's Amazon Store - Required Reading

For example, Producing Great Sound for Digital Video By Jay Rose provides a good overview of audio production. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Well, it's mission-critical to our success that we always remain "noobie" friendly, although I don't think Shawn should be categorized as such.
Please forgive me if that wasn't clear but that WAS the point of my "current company excluded". My remark was aimed at the one- or two-posters that begin with "HELP! I need..." and such that never post again or say thanks.
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Shaun and Chris. Trade shows and the Amazon required reading link were particularly helpful recommendations, but it was all good stuff.

I also figured out that searching the B&H Photo website by category and clicking on a random item within each sub-group to get a brief description of the function of the device is a big help to introducing me to new equipment.

I must admit that I am a bit of a noobie to the forum, and most of my posts are questions, but I think a lot of people have gotten some good insight from the threads ive started here and there. Im also just not very comfortable giving advice most of the time as i know someone much more experienced will likely post right after me, negating most of my recommendations in lieu of something I don't know about yet. Which brings me full circle back to why I started this thread in the first place heh. Good times

- Shawn
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion