DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Video Swticher, running a a multicam setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/476308-video-swticher-running-multicam-setup.html)

Ross Zuchowski April 6th, 2010 10:16 AM

Video Swticher, running a a multicam setup

I was wondering if anyone has a good source to reference for learning about video switchers. I recently wanted to start doing more multi camera setup for streaming live video either via the web or for broadcast but am not fimilar with these setups.

What I would like to do is have cameras setup shooting and rely them back to a video switcher that I could use to cut the material and output that as a live feed. If anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of finding some information or what you are using if you are running the setup already, thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Steve Brame April 6th, 2010 11:27 AM

We've used a few different hardware switchers - a Videonics MX-Pro, an Edirol V-4, and finally a Datavideo SE-500 which we just sold. Now we use Telestream's Wirecast. Reason? It does pretty much everything that any of the hardware switchers did, but is soooo much lighter...and cheaper.

Ervin Farkas April 6th, 2010 01:30 PM

Check out Newtek's Tricaster series.

Steve Brame April 6th, 2010 02:02 PM

Yes...'Tricaster', the penultimate. They can also be rented per event. Quite a price tag, so hopefully you will be able to get the work to justify one. However, if you own one and market yourself well, you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Greg Chisholm March 23rd, 2011 12:32 PM

Re: Video Swticher, running a a multicam setup

Ross,

I was at an MTV SHOOT webcast in nyc where they used a tricaster and it was AWESOME!!! definitely check out there website. I know a guy that has eight of them so give me a shout if you're interested in renting one.

Greg

Steve Kalle March 25th, 2011 10:44 PM

Uh oh. A potential competitor as I am getting ready to do the same thing.

I have found that the $15k Tricaster XD300 is the best solution for 2-3 camera shoots but you need to add another $5-6k for a flight case, LCDs, cables, TC-11, very good headsets and possibly the Virtual Set Editor. The headsets alone run over $1500 for GOOD ones so you don't have tons of interference.

There are great options for HD switching from Panasonic for less money but you lose internal recording, web streaming and Virtual Sets.

There are other aspects to consider. For one, I decided to get a nanoFlash to increase the quality recorded from a Tricaster in addition to having a backup recording. One thing to be wary of is compatibility with certain NLEs of the internal recording. For example, the XD300's 100Mb 422 I-frame does not work with any Adobe software (PPro, AE) and this is their highest quality option.

Another aspect is the quality of the keyer. The SD versions from Tricaster have horrible quality keyers while the HD versions (XD300, XD850) have decent keyers - good enough for live broadcast.

Battle Vaughan March 25th, 2011 10:55 PM

My newspaper built a video studio with remote control Sony cameras operated from a Broadcast Pix switcher. It's PC based, comes in a variety of sizes and capacities; you might look over their site: Broadcast Pix - Home

It has been pretty satisfactory, or so the studio people tell me.