Any doc for VISCA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any doc for VISCA?

Can anyone suggest how to get any specifications or even general information for the VISCA protocol, may also be called VISCATM? General web searching just seems to find cameras that use the interface but nothing on its actual specifications, etc. Thanks for any suggestions or information you may have.

Never mind, I found something at http://f1chf.free.fr/SONY/visca.pdf which may suffice for what I want to know.
Steve LaPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My understanding it's no different from RS232. I may be wrong though.
Stas Bobkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The RS-232 standard is more related to the electrical signals I think and I was interested in the data stream itself. Although what I referenced above is only a partial explanation of that, it was enough for me to understand what a camera equipped with this protocol might be used for. Thanks for your reply, that is another important fact about the connection that is good to keep in mind.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've used some Sony tilt-pan-zoom cameras controlled through VISCA interface. The camras were equipped with VISCA RS-232 and VISCA RS-422 ports, this how they were named in the manual and labled on the camera. I just assume they use same comport protocols like 232/422 and VISCA is just a proprietary name like i-LInk instead of FireWire.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Bobkov View Post
I've used some Sony tilt-pan-zoom cameras controlled through VISCA interface. The camras were equipped with VISCA RS-232 and VISCA RS-422 ports, this how they were named in the manual and labled on the camera. I just assume they use same comport protocols like 232/422 and VISCA is just a proprietary name like i-LInk instead of FireWire.
If I may ask, what did you use to command the camera movements, zoom, etc? Was it a Sony provided GUI, or a web page interface, or a command line statement or something completely different? Thanks for this additional information. Sony apparently created the protocol but the documentation is not readily available it seems so your information is giving me some insight as to whether it is something I would ultimately want to use for my own arrangement.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The cameras I got (Sony BRC300) were controlled from a Sony Anycast AWS-G500 switcher via VISCA. I've actually never used those cameras with a third party equipment/controller, so, cant answer your question.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, you did answer my question very well.
Steve LaPierre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion