DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone bought from Global Visual Direct (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/478669-anyone-bought-global-visual-direct.html)

Stu Ross May 13th, 2010 06:02 PM

Anyone bought from Global Visual Direct

Hi guys.

This is my first post and im seeking a little advice.
Im from australia and am looking to buy a AG-HMC 152. They retail for $6000 in australia but you can get them shipped (for free) from the uk from a company called GLOBAL VISUAL DIRECT in the UK for $3600. Now usually when a deal sounds to good to be true it is. So im just wondering has anyone bought from these guys or even there sister company PRO VISUAOL DIRECT and could you please tell of your experience. The money has to be deposited into a bank account and when making one of the bigger purchases in my life it scares me.
Anyway, would love to hear from anyone.
Thanks again
Stu

John Doran May 14th, 2010 01:54 AM

mike

hi mike
sent you a pm
john

Mike Beckett May 14th, 2010 02:02 AM

I think this is in the wrong thread, John. Oddly, I was just reading this post too - bizarre!

John Doran May 14th, 2010 02:04 AM

john

mike

read your pm

Mike Beckett May 14th, 2010 02:50 AM

Stu - I was about to reply to you as well.

I have no experience of this company (never heard of them!), but the some of the prices worry me.

Code:

HMC151:
Pro Visual Direct: £2389
Prestons:          £3523
CVP:              £3604
ProAV:            £3519

Sony EX1-R:
Pro Visual Direct: £4439
Prestons:          £5521
CVP:              £5434
ProAV:            £5463

Sony NX5E:
Pro Visual Direct: £3129
Prestons:          £3876
CVP:              £3695
ProAV:            £3701

H Preston, Creative (CVP) and ProAV are normally pretty hard to beat, price-wise and service-wise. I should stress that I have absolutely no evidence that Global Visual Direct are in any way unreliable, but I have to question how they can undercut these more established suppliers, sometimes by such a margin.

Then you need to consider import taxes... I've done a fair bit of posting to Aus, I know what their regulations are* and I've watched Border Security! It may be hard to avoid this tax.

Caveat Emptor!

*Yes, I've had one or two gifts incinerated by Customs because I forgot there were plant products inside them! Now I know.

Stu Ross May 14th, 2010 05:28 PM

Hi mike.

Yeah it worries me a little bit that i cant find one person on this forum that has bought from Global visual Direct and how the achieve such low prices. Their service up until this point with answering emails has been exceptional but i dont know if thats reassuring or more worrying.I am aware of the import duties i will have to GST at 10% which is to be expected.
Thanks for your comparison table.

Chris Soucy May 14th, 2010 06:25 PM

Hi Stu.....................

May I add my 2 cents here and suggest you just walk away from this and don't look back?

I have absolutely NO information on either of the companies mentioned, but I, for one, would not want to be dealing with a company registered in the Seychelles and possibly sourcing their equipment from the Far East (maybe even Singapore where their web site is hosted).

Just assuming that they really are kosher (and I make no comment one way or the other) the very thought of spending that sort of money on a product which could arrive "dead out of the box" from a company with no corporate headquarters whatsoever, is too chilling to even contemplate.

Where you think you'd get such a product repaired (at your expense, incidently, as it will have no Australian warranty) is a question I can only assume you haven't asked yourself, but if Panasonic (Aus) get's sniffy because it's a grey import, the answer could well be, nowhere.

Really, don't do it.

CS

Stu Ross May 14th, 2010 07:39 PM

Hey chris thanks for your input.
I think i have decided against Global visual direct. Its too scary.
I have heard about Global media Pro which has an office in New Zealand. They offer INternational 2yr warranty (validated by an insurance company called MACK) at a cost of 100 dollars and ive heard stories about their exceptional customer service and reliable delivery.
Thanks again

Chris Soucy May 14th, 2010 08:48 PM

Hmm.......

Checked out the site you mentioned and can find no camcorders there at all, maybe I looked in the wrong places.

Have you seen this?:

https://www.electronicbazaar.com.au/...1&pstatus=null

Interestingly, when you read the sites small print, they only offer a MANUFACTURERS warranty on Australian (I assume manufacturers imports) units, directly imported (ie. grey) only get a 12 month return to THEIR base warranty, however much use that is.

However, it IS local (pick up in Melbourne) and it IS more in the price range you want AND you won't have the "dead out of the box" nightmare of shipping it back overseas if so.

However, I cannot verify this company in any way, nor can I either recommend or otherwise.

Personally, if I wanted to sleep at night I'd just go to VideoGuys (who are sponsors here) and stump up for a kosher Panasonic import with full manufacturers warranty and great support.

But that's just me.

CS

Simon Denny May 15th, 2010 01:40 AM

I have bought a few items from Global Media Pro in NZ and have had great success and a quick delivering time.

Cheers

Stu Ross May 15th, 2010 02:47 AM

Thanks for everybodys input. I believe i will get it from ebazaar.com.au. It works out pretty much the same as from global media pro once you add up the GST and paying a courier to do the handling. And atleast this way ill be able to go an get it from melbourne and ensure it is all legit and working upon pick up.
cheers

John Wiley May 15th, 2010 03:33 AM

Let us know how you go with Electronic Bazaar. I normally only deal with Videoguys for online ordering or VideoPro if I need something quickly and they happen to have it in stock.

Andrew Smith May 15th, 2010 09:11 AM

I've gotten my Rode microphones from VideoGuys, and all my other gear (cameras, decks, lights, Sony wireless lav mike kit) from VideoPro in Brisbane. Both have been excellent, and I know that VideoPro have their own professional servicing and repair facility.

Andrew