Mini DV Tape Archiving Question(s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini DV Tape Archiving Question(s)

I have a ton of video I need to get off tape, so I'm looking for a good program Mac or PC, I own both. Also how do you archive your video... what format? I'm mostly looking to archive my video.

I have about 5 mini dv tapes full of video over a span of 8 years. I want to store them on my NAS but I'm looking for a good common format. Something multiple programs can open and then format them as needed. For example, I rip all my music apple lossless and then I can create mp3 or aac files. I'm not worried about space.

Any suggestions to the format etc?
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Simply import them into iMovie. It does a file transfer (not a transcode) on miniDV footage and will create files with the extension of .dv. These are identical to the footage on the tape. You specify where iMovie stores this footage, and you can then copy and move it to where you want. The footage takes up about 2 GB per 9 minutes of footage, so your 5 miniDV tapes should take up about 70 GB of space. I have probably over one hundred miniDV tapes stored this way.

When I imported these tapes via firewire, I also used the S-video output on the playback deck to capture and encode the footage using an iRecord Pro to .mp4 files, which are much more compressed. Your five tapes would take up maybe 6 GB in .mp4. However, 70 GB is no big deal, and it is much easier to edit .dv instead of .mp4.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you so much David!

Last edited by Christopher McCord; May 19th, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The best program by far for this is WinDV as it seperates each clip into separate files
files with dates in the filenames
WinDV

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion