Where there's smoke there's [fill in the blank]. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 12th, 2002, 03:58 PM   #31
Regular Crew

John,

It depends on what genre film they're being used. At the time, 13 - 16 years ago, OW!, I was a professional stuntman, so the bees employed were from my local, and mostly used 2 stroke offroad beecycles (sorry!)

I can't recall what they used, but I remember looking inside one. It seems they used two products: one was a circular disc which seemed to generate most of the smoke and the other was a multi coloured granular product.

If you're interested, I can make some calls and find out.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #32
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Guy,

You gotta hate those 2 stroke beecycles! My queen bee ex-girlfriend used to drone on and on about how the bees that rode them were...well..the bee's knees. :)

If you wouldn't mind asking around, I'd really appreciate it. I've always been a "back to the basics" guy. Can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars for an electric-powered smoke blower that burns products that have to be specially ordered and are pretty toxic, when all you have to have is a good old-fashioned bee smoker and whatever gunk they put inside (hopefully not as toxic as the chemical stuff they use now).

Thanks!
Old November 12th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

smoke

The material used in the "bee smokers" is ole banum. It is a pine tar resin. You place charcoal brickets that are already glowing with white ash in the container. Then you put the nuggets (about the size of peas) on top of the charcoal. By pumping the bellows it produces smoke. You can also mix equal parts of granulated sugar and potassium nitrate (salt peter from the drug store). put the mixture on a piece of metal plate and ignight with a butane torch. Burns fast..lots of smoke. Don't contain it. you could dampen it with a mist of water to make it burn slower.

You could also make an "oil cracker". You get a 25 gallon steel drum and put 6" of mineral oil in the bottom. Take copper tubing and drill the smallest holes you can in the tube. make a ring out of the tubing and submerge it in the oil with the holes under the surface and the end of the tubing sticking out of the top of the can. Attach the end to an air compressor set at 120 psi. The air going thru the small holes at high pressure "cracks the oil molecules and turns them into mist or smoke.

Since the smoke(or any smoke machine smoke) is oil based, it will make the floor slippy after awhile.

Hope this helps

David Mesloh
Special Effects Coordinator
GIMIX, Inc.
A Full Service Special Effects and Prop Company
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 08:25 AM   #34
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Straight from the horse's mouth! Thanks, David. The mystery is solved.

Now let's see...how do I say ole banum in Japanese...hmmmm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion