Continuous recording on DSLR cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Trustee

Continuous recording on DSLR cameras

What is the maximum continuous recording of HDV or AVCHD on DSLR cameras? Is there a limit to the time you can record continuous in these type of cameras being Canon or Nikon? If I remember correctly I read that the pick up sensor of these cameras might burn if you use them for video work for a long time.

Stelios
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

None of the DSLRs I am aware of shoot in HDV (tape based format) or AVCHD. The Canon's shoot h.264 video at ~40-48 Mbps. The Nikons shoot some h.264 variant or MJpeg, and the GH1 shoots an h.264 variant as well.

The GH1 in US specification will record as long as you like. The Canon's seem to be limited to around 12 minutes, and the Nikons seem to be limited to 5-6 minutes if memory serves.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Trustee

The US version of the Panasonic GH1 (which is AVCHD) is limited only by the size of the SDHC card. The EU version is limited to 29 minutes because if it could record longer it would be classified as a camcorder and subject to higher taxes.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
The US version of the Panasonic GH1 (which is AVCHD) is limited only by the size of the SDHC card. The EU version is limited to 29 minutes because if it could record longer it would be classified as a camcorder and subject to higher taxes.
For some reason, I forget the GH1 actually records at the AVCHD rates. Thanks for clarifying.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's frustrating that the 5D stops after approx. 12 minutes. Does anyone know, is that only because of the file size/CF card formatting, or is that also because of overheating issues? Because if it's only the latter, that seems pretty lame. At this point it seems clear we need bigger files on CF cards...I wonder if there are plans to update that soon?
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Actually, has nothing to do with the CF card sizes. Or overheating. It's a political issue. But I don't find the recording time to be much of an issue. It closely replicates shooting on film. And that's somewhat the point of these cameras.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Actually, has nothing to do with the CF card sizes. Or overheating. It's a political issue. But I don't find the recording time to be much of an issue. It closely replicates shooting on film. And that's somewhat the point of these cameras.
Not card sizes, but limitations of the FAT32 format, which limits file sizes to 4GB. Please elaborate on the political issues, and let me know how to overcome the CF file size limit with a 5DMII. Replicating the look of film is swell, but since we're in the digital realm it would be great to shoot takes of longer duration. For example, I've been shooting live jazz sets where a tune can last well past the 5D limit.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Newberry View Post
Not card sizes, but limitations of the FAT32 format, which limits file sizes to 4GB. Please elaborate on the political issues, and let me know how to overcome the CF file size limit with a 5DMII. Replicating the look of film is swell, but since we're in the digital realm it would be great to shoot takes of longer duration. For example, I've been shooting live jazz sets where a tune can last well past the 5D limit.
It's not a FAT32 issue. My EX1 is also FAT32 and will continue to create new files and seamless record data for as long as you have card space. As do the consumer cameras that record onto SDHC and Compact Flash.

The issue is the EU restriction that says anything that can record more than 30 minutes gets imposed an extra tariff. Panasonic got around this by having a version for the EU that records just under 30 minutes, while everyone else gets one that records as long as you like. I guess Canon just decided to hobble everyone so they didn't have to deal with creating two versions.

And as of this point, there is no way around the issue. Sorry. But this has been a known issue since the camera was released. It's nothing new. Did you not know it only recorded 12 minutes at a time when you purchased it?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Stelios,

take a good look at the GH1 - I've got 2 now for weddings and loving them! While I mostly shoot short clips I can fire it up and capture an entire ceremony or speeches if need be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion