Conference mic for Skype at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Conference mic for Skype

This may be a bit off topic but I am interested if anyone has any experience/recommendations of a conference type mic for use with Skype. I periodically attend meetings which attempt to use Skype (audio only) and the computer mic just doesn't cut it. Anyone have any suggestions? Price point a few hundred $$.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Trustee

It would depend on how simple the setup needs to be and how much area (podium, conference table, training room) needs to be covered.
There's a very wide range of USB audio mics and interfaces that would be an improvement over the computer's mic. It would just be a question of picking one that would be simple enough for untrained participants to use without too much effort, in a form factor that would work for the mic placement, with the correct sensitivity to cover the subjects reasonably well.
You can search online music supply stores for USB Microphone, or for USB mic interfaces or cables that allow you to use your own regular mic (depending on power requirements).
You can also look at specialty sites like Sound Professionals to get an idea of products they have for purposes like court reporting.
Again anything is likely to be an improvement as long as the operator knows enough to select the new mic in the operating software.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There usually are 10 or so attendees sitting around a conference table. I would be there to set it up, at least for the first time. What I am looking for is a USB type mic.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You may want to look at the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder with its 4 built in mics and configurations(for instance front back). Works very well as a USB Audio interface for Skype. <$200
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Ike is correct, I forgot to mention that most audio recorders can also function as USB interfaces using either their built-in mics or external mics.
In the conference table application with 10 people, I would generally use an omni boundary-layer mic.
There are some USB omni boundary layer mics, but I haven't personally used one. I would be more likely to use a regular omni boundary layer mic connected to a USB audio interface since I have those already and I'm familiar with their audio quality.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion