DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   NTSC DVDs in PAL regions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/480571-ntsc-dvds-pal-regions.html)

Alex Lafkovici June 17th, 2010 02:07 PM

NTSC DVDs in PAL regions?

Hello,

I've been reading that NTSC DVDs will play fine in PAL regions such as Europe, the UK, etc. -- However, occasionally some older tv sets will not display them properly.

So I just have a couple of questions:

-Is this still a problem nowadays in 2010? -- Or can I safely distribute an NTSC DVD in a PAL region without worry?

-Will there be quality loss if someone plays an NTSC DVD on their PAL DVD player and tv?

Thanks,
Alex

Shaun Roemich June 17th, 2010 05:51 PM

The last information I had on this topic was that VIRTUALLY all DVD players in PAL countries now ship with the ability to play NTSC discs by converting to a PAL compliant output signal on the fly. SO... ASSUMING your intended audience has a newer (I don't know HOW new it would need to be...) DVD player AND is ok with the quality hit that a consumer device doing the upscaling takes, you're ok.

Addendum: the image will be less sharp and colours won't be PRECISELY the same and there may be some motion blur/judder imposed by the retiming from 29.97 to 25 frames per second...

Warren Kawamoto June 17th, 2010 06:13 PM

I made NTSC dvds for my inlaws back in 2005. Their system is PAL. Even at that time, every PAL player I saw could play NTSC.

Sareesh Sudhakaran June 17th, 2010 09:28 PM

it works...the television is not the issue, the DVD player is. And all players support NTSC in PAL regions. I live in India, a PAL region, but where commercial DVDs are sold as NTSC.

Andrew Smith June 17th, 2010 10:39 PM

You could, but the purist in me prefers a PAL disc.

Recently I had a client tell me how she had called the USA to purchase a DVD and checked with the merchant that they had a version that would be PAL format for Australia. She was disappointed when she still got a NTSC disc through in the end ... and I ended up doing a standards conversion for reliable playback.

Just sayin' ...

Andrew

Ervin Farkas June 21st, 2010 09:39 PM

You're taking chances

Although practically most players will either play both standards and output whatever you feed them, or they will convert to PAL - there is no guarantee that ALL your clients will be able to play back your product.

If this is a professional job, then I suggest you do the transcoding and play it safe.

Andrew Smith June 22nd, 2010 01:27 AM

Especially if you are producing something such as a guitar tutorial and there needs to be clear view of the motion of the fingers, etc. A good quality standards conversion will carry this through whereas the job done by a consumer DVD player is .... cheaper.

Andrew