DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Is Africa Pal or NTSC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/480646-africa-pal-ntsc.html)

Simon Denny June 19th, 2010 04:43 PM

Is Africa Pal or NTSC?

Hi,
I'm trying to find out if Africa is a Pal country or NTSC.
I have a Sony PD170 to ship over and this is a Pal version.

Thanks

Chris Soucy June 19th, 2010 04:50 PM

Hi Simon...................

File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CS

Simon Denny June 19th, 2010 05:12 PM

Thanks Chris,
I checked that link but what about west Africa? any ideas.

Cheers

Chris Soucy June 19th, 2010 06:40 PM

Hi...........

If you check this out:

SECAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and scroll down to the bit about "Which countries........." you'll see many West African countries are on the "use" list.

I can't see it's relevance however unless you're actually getting into broadcasting.

If you scroll down to the "Problems with the standard" section you'll see it is pretty irrelevant no matter what camcorder you have.

CS

Kevin McRoberts June 20th, 2010 12:20 PM

My experience in Liberia was that video equipment standards were entirely dependent upon what they could get. I think I saw a bit of everything there.

Broadcast-wise, yes, there's probably a preference... I believe their broadcasts are PAL... but schools with TVs, for instance, often had NTSC equipment because 1) that's what was donated, and 2) that's the format most of their donated materials were in.

Admittedly their situation was slightly more dire than the rest of West Africa, but similar principles might apply.

Simon Denny June 21st, 2010 03:09 AM

Thanks guys,

Well, I nearly got stung by an ebay scam and how stupid of me.
I put this camera up for sale through ebay and received an email stating that the item had been sold.
At first I thought this was strange because it was only a few hours earlier that I had the item up for sale.

After looking back at the email/purchaser and noting the bad english and spelling the alarm went off in my head that this was a scam. I contacted ebay and they confirmed this to be a scam.

Watch out for ebay scams wanting the item to be sent to Africa.

Thanks

Bruce Phung June 21st, 2010 07:43 AM

Africa/Nigeria are both known for scam artist.

Doug Bailey July 18th, 2010 11:16 AM

Hi Simon,
Africa is a pretty good sized continent with many countries. I used to live in SA which is PAL, but my guess is that's it's a mish mash so anything's possible. The various consulates will be able to help.

Kind regards,
Doug.
www.BaileyNatureGallery.com

Olakunle Olanrewaju July 19th, 2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Phung (Post 1540666)
Africa/Nigeria are both known for scam artist.

I want to disagree with that assumption I am from Nigeria while I am aware that, there are con men in Nigeria, the fact that Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa makes it easy for most blacks to say that they are from Nigeria when in fact they are not. We have seen so many examples.

And in response to simeon question most west Africa countries are PAL especially Nigeria where about 50% of west African population resides.