DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Are all mpeg2 files created equal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/482585-all-mpeg2-files-created-equal.html)

Kevin Lewis July 28th, 2010 11:02 PM

Are all mpeg2 files created equal?

I know that different codecs have different quality levels when burning a DVD. But what about when simply creating an mpeg2 file. Can one nle system create a higher quality mpeg 2 than another?

Perrone Ford July 28th, 2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1553169)
Can one nle system create a higher quality mpeg 2 than another?

You better believe it!

Kevin Lewis July 29th, 2010 12:47 PM

I know MPEGS can consist of various make ups, but I typcally export mpeg2 1080i files that ultimatly make there way to dvd. If I use another NLE to create a file with those same specs, is it still possible for one 1080i to have a higher quality then another 1080i. I thought that because were talking about a digital file, that the mpegs would be the exact same quality. I typically edit in Pinnicale Studio 12. I like the simplicity of it but want the option to export to another system where I can make my dvd's more compatible with the various players that are out there.It seems that the dvds that I create from this program dont always work well on various players.

Perrone Ford July 29th, 2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1553400)
I know MPEGS can consist of various make ups, but I typcally export mpeg2 1080i files that ultimatly make there way to dvd. If I use another NLE to create a file with those same specs, is it still possible for one 1080i to have a higher quality then another 1080i.

Not only is it possible, it's essentially guaranteed.

Quote:

I thought that because were talking about a digital file, that the mpegs would be the exact same quality.

We are talking about a digital file. But not a lossless one. Each Mpeg2 encoder is looking at the source material and making hundreds of guesses per frame of video about how to encode that information. Some encoders guess better than others. Some take their time and work for best quality. Others try to appease the crowd who wants it fast. Some walk the line between the two extremes. All Mpeg2 is not created equally. How much artifacting do you see in Hollywood DVDs? How much do you see in your home burns?

Quote:

I typically edit in Pinnicale Studio 12. I like the simplicity of it but want the option to export to another system where I can make my dvd's more compatible with the various players that are out there.It seems that the dvds that I create from this program dont always work well on various players.

Heiko Saele August 2nd, 2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1553404)
(...)
How much artifacting do you see in Hollywood DVDs? How much do you see in your home burns?

As far as I know, good Hollywood DVDs are kind of "manually encoded". That is if the encoder's choice of bitrate and whatnot for a certain scene is bad, then this scene will be encoded with better settings until it fits.

And of course there is always good software and bad software. Some encoders just do a much better job than others.