Live editing at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Live editing

Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in this online community.
I am quite new in this stuff and would like to know the opinion of some of the experts.

I want to set up a studio to film a "talk show" with simple cameras like the cannon legria fs200. Since I want to spent as little time as possible for editing, I want to live edit the show with a video mixer.
My budget is limited so I am looking for Numark AVM02.
Will that do the business? Also I will be recording from a PC.

Help is appreciated.
Cheers!
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
The AVM02 is not designed for TV studios, it is designed for Video DJs (VJs) so I don't think it would be the best option. Look at the DataVideo SE-500. It is almost the same price, and is designed for the studio. Live switching is not the easiest thing to do, so you will need practice before you can get it perfect.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
The AVM02 is not designed for TV studios, it is designed for Video DJs (VJs) so I don't think it would be the best option. Look at the DataVideo SE-500. It is almost the same price, and is designed for the studio. Live switching is not the easiest thing to do, so you will need practice before you can get it perfect.
Thanx for your reply Edward. I bet practice makes perfect!

I dont like the iputs/outputs on the DataVideo SE-500, so if I go a bit higher on the budget, would you recommend the Edirol/Roland V4 instead?
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
Any reason you don't like the inputs and outputs? The problem with the V5 is that you don't have any way to monitor all the inputs at the same time. The SE-500 has a quad split output of all 4 inputs at the same time. This is important because you want to be able to monitor the camera you are about to switch to in case the framing is wrong, you can fix it before you take the camera.

One thing I forgot to mention, too. You are going to have to consider how you are running audio. You will need an audio mixer if you go with the V4. The SE-500 has two 1/4" inputs and a basic audio mixer, but you will probably still want to get an external mixer.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:46 AM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
Any reason you don't like the inputs and outputs? The problem with the V5 is that you don't have any way to monitor all the inputs at the same time. The SE-500 has a quad split output of all 4 inputs at the same time. This is important because you want to be able to monitor the camera you are about to switch to in case the framing is wrong, you can fix it before you take the camera.

One thing I forgot to mention, too. You are going to have to consider how you are running audio. You will need an audio mixer if you go with the V4. The SE-500 has two 1/4" inputs and a basic audio mixer, but you will probably still want to get an external mixer.
I just like the RCA output/iputs. I have a very simple audio console wich might do the trick.
The cameras are going to be mounted on tripods and will not move like a real TV studio.
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
I still think that a real switcher will be way better than a VJ switcher. The BNC inputs can be adapted into RCA inputs with an adapter available from a bunch of stores or online for less than $1.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 215
Have you thought about a Tricaster?

NewTek TriCaster
__________________
Calvin Bellows
www.exposureproductions.ca
Calvin Bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
Have you thought about a Tricaster?

NewTek TriCaster

SOOO expensive for me!!
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #9
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Ediron Roland V4
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/m6pO...4tIGIlQ/96.jpg

Numark AVM02
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mPB7...7y4gIdw/96.jpg

Datavideo SE500
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mvZh...tCGxcgA/96.jpg

...and i cant make up my mind. All the above are in the same price range (at least on ebay) and more or less cover my needs of:
-At least 3 video inputs
-Video preview (the V4 lacks on this one)
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Posts: 4,087
I own the Edirol LVS400 right now. T-bar is the nicest I've used outside of Ross or Grass Valley switchers. Signal is good. Cuts are fast, which can be a problem with SOME frame store sync switchers.

Edirol / Roland LVS-400 Live Production Switcher LVS-400 - B&H

I'll be replacing it next year with an HD offering yet to be determined but it is a SOLID little unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Live editing-roadkit.jpg  
__________________
Shaun C. Roemich Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC - Videographer - Webcaster
www.roaddogmedia.ca Blog: http://roaddogmedia.wordpress.com/
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacifica, CA USA
Posts: 32
Wirecast - Live Video Switching on a PC

Webcasting Software - How Wirecast is used - Telestream
Kinda like a Tricaster but just software running on a PC. HDV or DV Cams connect via firewire and output is streaming (don't know whether the mix can also be recorded to PC's drive).
Eric Mayrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #12
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I own the Edirol LVS400 right now. T-bar is the nicest I've used outside of Ross or Grass Valley switchers. Signal is good. Cuts are fast, which can be a problem with SOME frame store sync switchers.

Edirol / Roland LVS-400 Live Production Switcher LVS-400 - B&H

I'll be replacing it next year with an HD offering yet to be determined but it is a SOLID little unit.
Yep. Seen this as well. Seems better than the V4 model, but about 500usd more expensive on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayrand View Post
Webcasting Software - How Wirecast is used - Telestream
Kinda like a Tricaster but just software running on a PC. HDV or DV Cams connect via firewire and output is streaming (don't know whether the mix can also be recorded to PC's drive).
This is simply amazing. But unfortunately I think its only for live broadcasting over the net. If it would record, this would be the best option, regarding it wont need a computer from NASA to run on.
Nicholas Logothetis is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network