DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Is it weird to name your camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/482952-weird-name-your-camera.html)

David Seguin August 5th, 2010 08:57 PM

Is it weird to name your camera?

I mean like..people names? lol :P

Just thought I'd ask to see if there are any other weirdos out there who've named their cameras, and if so, what their names are, just for the fun of it.

My XH-A1's name is Beth :)

Corey Williams August 5th, 2010 09:31 PM

I have a JVC HD110U. I call it Jethro.

Dean Sensui August 6th, 2010 12:38 AM

As chief photog of a newspaper I named the three Macs in our department "Moe," "Larry" and "Curly". When we got a fourth for FTP work it was called "Shemp".

Shaun Roemich August 6th, 2010 12:43 AM

The JVC GY-HD200UB with all the trimmings is Big Brother. The basic HD200UB is L'il Sister.

Ken Hull August 6th, 2010 01:40 AM

Hmmm.... well I do have names for my camcorders. Like "the DVC30" and "the V1U". Most video people seem to understand what I mean. The camcorders though..... they just sit there, unresponsive. Maybe if I called them Abbott and Costello. Whaddya think?

Ken

Don Bloom August 6th, 2010 04:53 AM

OK I think you people are all sick, naming your cameras and computers. It's almost as if you have spent way too much time in the darkroom inhaling the fixer fumes. Oh, excuse me, I think I hear Luigi calling me from his bag.

O|O
\--/

Bob Hart August 6th, 2010 05:39 AM

No personal names for cameras however the two SI2K cameras during banter on set between takes are referred to as "das shrecklicher kind" and "der alter bruder". Wordstuff like "macht schnell" is sometimes uttered when the camera is booting up and time is tight. This is a sort-of backhanded homage to the german origins of the hardware.

Corey Williams August 6th, 2010 09:08 AM

Here at work, our machines all have animals names. There's the Hippo, Grizzly, Honey Bee, Aardvark, Penguin, T-Rex, Puma, Gorilla, Raptor and the video server is called the Jungle. Some folk have too much time on their hands.

Aldric Bailey August 6th, 2010 09:13 AM

Nope... not at all... Natasha is the HiDef device, Allison is the DV device... it works well with the workflow, after all, they are "staff"... even if they make us get paid...

Paul Cascio August 6th, 2010 09:46 AM

Anything you handle a lot needs a nickname.

Brandon Barnard August 6th, 2010 10:34 AM

haha. Careful where you go with that paul.

Paul Cascio August 6th, 2010 11:40 AM

I was referring to mics, tripods and lenses of course. :)

Brandon Barnard August 6th, 2010 11:50 AM

Mine is named colossus. Ehemmm...my sony that is.

Chris Luker August 6th, 2010 02:14 PM

My RED One already had a name when I bought it, so I kinda had to keep the name...

David Seguin August 6th, 2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Barnard (Post 1556213)
Mine is named colossus. Ehemmm...my sony that is.

Haha. I knew this thread would get a few people laughing. Still surprised to see how many people actually have named their equipment though lol. I guess as filmmakers/videographers/etc. that's our creative sides coming out :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Luker (Post 1556267)
My RED One already had a name when I bought it, so I kinda had to keep the name...

What was it's name? The person who sold it to you actually told you what the camera's name was before selling it to you? lol