How long before DV is dead? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Major Player

How long before DV is dead?

How long do you figure before we won't be able to buy any decent 3 CCD DV cameras? Before they are all replaced by HD or HDV cameras?
For example the VX2100 is no longer produced and the only alternative is the HDR-FX1 if you want to stay with Sony.
I am thinking I would like to add another camera to my equipment for next year, will the PD-170 be discontinued by then? Will my only options be HDV?
What do you guys think?
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hmmm,

Walked into a mega giant computer/electronics store and they were still selling some Digital 8 cameras, VHS-C as well.

So my guess is that Mini DV cameras will be available for at least another five years. Some models will be discontinued, some dealers drop the line all together. But as a format... it'll be around for another decade.

Just my guess.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Trustee

My quess is that miniDV will finally become the consumer format that it was originally intended for, that is, we'll start to see a whole lot of cheap dv25 cams, mostly pocket sized. Vendors will finally drop those VHS rigs and decks. Another consiration is an improvement to popular digital still cams that might also sport full dv25 spec. Heck who knows, maybe an IPOD offshoot will have miniDV recording? Folks want small and easy. I have an old JVC VHSC, even though it's a handheld, it's too cumbersom and resolution sucks. Soon as I started working with DV25, I no longer wanted to use the thing. So consumer exposure/education is key.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Hmm. If MiniDV became a totally amateur format and HDV was somehow classed as a pro format I would be very worried about quality control in the video industry!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, so the real question is when does HDCAM become affordable? :)
Brent Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't know Brent. Define "Affordable"? Below 10k is pretty affordable for most semi-pros.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'd define affordable when the HDCAM gear is in the same price range as the professional DV/DVCAM gear is now. Your guess is about right. Somewhere between $6000 and $15,000.
Brent Warwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion