An open letter to the doom-sayers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #16
Trustee

I still have my Betamax machine and 200 three hour tapes full of the UK TV of the 80's :)
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Wrangler

When I put a home theater in a few years back, the installer I hired looked at me sideways when I included an SVHS player in the stack. I told him I had a bunch of tapes from "back in the day" and while I have always intended to dub them to a more sturdy medium, not all of them will get archived. Occasionally I'll pop in an old off-air tape of a show I love that hasn't gotten the complete DVD treatment. Just last night I had a friend visit from back east and we watched a tape of hijinks centered around one of my bands from 20 years ago. The tape is holding up remarkably well...!

(my backup medium for the "keepers" i.e. home movies and archive of work projects shot analog, BTW, is likely to be the large DVCAM cassettes, as I still have two decks in that format. Hopefully I will ingest onto drives as well).
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:22 AM   #18
Trustee

"Print is dead."
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Whatever happened to the paperless office?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #20
New Boot

It'll come right after the paperless toilet.

--AOK--
Antti Kangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
When I put a home theater in a few years back, the installer I hired looked at me sideways when I included an SVHS player in the stack.
We still regularly use our VHS player at home, and we've been looking at the same movies for years. They get de-mothballed everytime we have another kid! We have a 11 month old now, so I'll be hanging on to that machine for at least another 5 years. Unbelievable.
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I still have my VHS plugged in. I have films on VHS that I only occasionally watch, so there's little point in buying the DVDs, plus old off air recordings of docs and films.

The quality isn't as good as DVD, but it's watch-able (some cable channels can be worse) and most tapes are holding up well over time.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion