Shot, edited, scored, synced on iPhone: Car Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Shot, edited, scored on iPhone 4: Car Review

My first attempt at a complete end-to-end iPhone short video:

YouTube - 2010 Honda Element Dog Edition

This was shot on an iPhone 4 using the built-in camera and using the following apps: iMovie, Multitrack DAW, and Beatmaker. An intermediary computer was only used to import the title card and to transfer audio tracks from App share to iTunes so it could be inserted into iMovie (which only takes music from the iTunes playlist). Voiceover was done using the included earbud mic, timed and layered using Multitrack DAW from Harmonicdog. Final movie was copied to a mac for upload to avoid re-compression.

Normally, I use a Sony NX5U, so this was an interesting experiment to say the least.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Ryan Douthit; August 31st, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Nice. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that this was shot and edited on what is still essentially a mobile phone device.'

The times, they are a'changin'.

Good job.

-Jon
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Trustee

OK, that's pretty well put together for being entirely produced on an iPhone. Kudos!
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Just understand dude, that you're trashing the single BEST small practice video production vehicle on the planet.

Having owned one for more than 6 years, I'll NEVER go back to Vans, Suburbans, Troopers, or any of the other "urban assault vehicles" that those of us who have to carry equipment packages everywhere use to have to drive.

Over 20 mpg.
Under 24k basically equipped.
40 cubic feet of cargo space (more than ANYTHING except an EXPEDITION!) with the seats pulled (which is simple to do!)
Charger ports in the back where you can set up a useful inverter and battery charging station.
Tent like virtual changing room options.

Sorry, but the Element rocks for video.

My 2 cents, anyway.
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Major Player

For the price I'd personally pick up an entry-level Nissan Xterra way before the Element. But my production needs are probably different than yours. The Element would probably make a good flower delivery truck, too.

From a young family perspective, which was the main point I make in the video, the Element is a shockingly bad choice.

But how about that iPhone 4, eh?
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
OK, that's pretty well put together for being entirely produced on an iPhone. Kudos!
What really needs to happen with the apps on the iPhone is that assets need to be easier to move between programs (even a universal copy-paste for big chunks of data would be good). A file exchange block of memory on the iPhone would be ideal.

The multi-track editor I used needs more granular control over sound levels as it currently only allows for a track volume and -- no curves. And, though you can record separate segments on a single track, there's no tool for cutting a track into pieces -- a big omission imho.

iMovie really needs better audio controls, too. One audio track with a single object is pretty silly. It really needs at least the ability to add audio like it currently allows video: multiple objects with dissolves. I'd like more precision for frame-in and frame-out, but I can live with that part for quick and dirty.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douthit View Post
For the price I'd personally pick up an entry-level Nissan Xterra way before the Element. But my production needs are probably different than yours. The Element would probably make a good flower delivery truck, too.

From a young family perspective, which was the main point I make in the video, the Element is a shockingly bad choice.

But how about that iPhone 4, eh?
I wouldn't want to forgo the extra 10 cu ft of cargo space the Element has over the Xterra in both seats folded and seats out modes. But yeah, that's subjective.

As to the iPhone and video editing, it ASTONISHES me that people are miffed that their PHONE can't do video editing better.

Think about that again. That their PHONE can't do video editing better. Like that was EVER in the original cel phone lexicon up until the past few years.

The whole Apps on a phone thing is like a blink in the history of technology's eye - and we're grumpy that it didn't spring, fully realized to the personal wishes of everyone in every vertical use sub-group out of the box?

Amazing.
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Once the iPhone came out the "phone" became much more of a portable computer and much less of an actual phone. (Arguably, you could say this shift occured as early as the S60 handsets, but Nokia just never got its app environment together.) So, though it is ridiculous on its face to expect more from a phone, these stopped being phones a while ago: They're computers with seamless voip capabilities. ;)
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow, amazing quality. How did you manage to keep the phone so stable for all of the shots? Work up some sort of tripod adapter to hold it?
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Major Player

I have a phone clamp with a tripod screwmount (bought it from proprompter). I attached it to both an in-car suction mount, as well as to a indislider mini (so for the only good use I've found for that thing). It's kind of funny seeing someone shoot with a big Bogen tripod and this tiny little camera attached but it obviously works pretty well.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion