JVC GY-DV700WU or canon xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GY-DV700WU or canon xl2

Which one? ok...thta wasnt fair. Ive read enough posts and replies to know that some of you guys are pretty anal about more info, lol. heres the situation; I like 24p, love the look. forget HD. dont try to sell me it I like what i like. i have been asked to shoot high school games for the season and i dont want to use my dvx100b. i have 2 friends, one with the jvc, the other, xl2. both selling for the same amount, 1700 dollars. which one would you choose and why?
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Major Player

what's wrong with the dvx100b?
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

nothings wrong with the dvx100b, just dont want to shoot with it.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

GY-DV700 is 2/3th inch and 16:9.. so that would be my choice.. Get a decent 2ndhand lens for it and you have good zoom range while maintaining quality..
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks sander! Ive tried to find video of the jvc cam but couldnt, so i cant judge image quality. do you know which is better?
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sam,
While the 700 was never a hugh seller on the market, think about this. 2/3rds inch chips VS. 1/3rd. Hugh choice of lenes available. True 16:9 format. Professional power options; 3 stud (Anton Bauer) or V-lock (IDX or Sony).

Yes the power options will cost more than the batteries for the XL2, yes you need a better (read more costly) tripod head than you'd need for the XL2, that is if you don't already have these items. If it were me, I would get the 700 as long as it's in decent condition. Since they're the same price, IMO it's a no choice kind of choice but again keep in mind the accessories you need for both.

Oh yeah, one more thing. IIRC the veiwfinder on the 700 is about 2X the size of the XL2 so it's easier on the eyes.

While I never owned or used the 700 over the years I have owned and used many different fullsized cameras and frankly I loved the image quality of the bigger chips and the ability to be able to reach into my bag pull the camera out and be ready to shoot with light and receiver already on it and ready to go.

My vote....the 700.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Trustee

You love the look of 24p, for sporting events? Weird, this to me would be first on the list NOT to shoot on 24p. It is live sports!. You want frame rate. It isn't a drama. Are you making an art film from the footage ;)
Second of all, don't try to sell you on HD. You like what you like? What? You do know HD is SD but with better resolution right? You can output it to blurry SD all you like. Shoot HD output to DVD, Youtube, iPOD ect... Again if I can think of anything that benefits from higher resolution, first on my list would be live sports, preferably with a high fps. It's LIVE SPORTS!
Use your dvx100b, it is a XL2 without widescreen, but based on your questions, you won't know the difference. Otherwise listen to the opinion of what every single poster here has and is going to tell you.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I used to own a DV700 for a year or so before I got my Digibeta. It's a really nice camera. Well made, works well, all laid as as the other broadcast cameras, nice pictures. It's basically like a DSR500 but because they were never that popular it can be had pretty cheap. I'd have no hesitation getting one if I needed a DVCam shoulder mount 2/3" camera. Pick up an excellent quality Fujinon 15x8 for £500 and you'll have an amazing quality set-up for peanuts.
Having said that, I wouldn't even consider buying an SD camera these days, everything is so HD focussed now it seems like such a backward step.
Having said
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks for the info! do you think I could use a firestore with this?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson View Post
You love the look of 24p, for sporting events? Weird, this to me would be first on the list NOT to shoot on 24p. It is live sports!. You want frame rate. It isn't a drama. Are you making an art film from the footage ;)
Second of all, don't try to sell you on HD. You like what you like? What? You do know HD is SD but with better resolution right? You can output it to blurry SD all you like. Shoot HD output to DVD, Youtube, iPOD ect... Again if I can think of anything that benefits from higher resolution, first on my list would be live sports, preferably with a high fps. It's LIVE SPORTS!
Use your dvx100b, it is a XL2 without widescreen, but based on your questions, you won't know the difference. Otherwise listen to the opinion of what every single poster here has and is going to tell you.
ummmm...who said I was shooting sports in 24p? please re read the post and just answer the actual question. all i want to know is if you had a choice between the two, which would you take and why? simple enough? i thought so.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I used to own a DV700 for a year or so before I got my Digibeta. It's a really nice camera. Well made, works well, all laid as as the other broadcast cameras, nice pictures. It's basically like a DSR500 but because they were never that popular it can be had pretty cheap. I'd have no hesitation getting one if I needed a DVCam shoulder mount 2/3" camera. Pick up an excellent quality Fujinon 15x8 for £500 and you'll have an amazing quality set-up for peanuts.
Having said that, I wouldn't even consider buying an SD camera these days, everything is so HD focussed now it seems like such a backward step.
Having said
thanks steve! I have a canon a1s. but truth be told im not bringing that out on a daily basis to record sports. this gig is 6 days a week for 3 hrs a day. I use this cam for web work, greenscreens etc.. I use my dvx100 for my own personal stuff as i love the look of 24p, reminds me of vynyl records. HD is like cd's to me. im old i guess. lol. I posted the question as two friends of mine are selling thier cams. just wanted to know which was worth the money. I have a heavy duty tripod and anton kit. this cam comes with the fujinon 15x8 lens.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rosado View Post
thanks for the info! do you think I could use a firestore with this?
You need a USB for that don't you? Can't remember if it has one or not.
Steve
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You can use a firestore as long as the camera has a firewire connection. Firestores work off FW not USB at least I've never seen a USB on firestore. Just make sure you have a very solid connection.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Right, Firewire, not USB, I knew it was one of those rather than SDI.
Still can't remember whether or the 700 has one though.
Steve
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM   #15
Inner Circle

the 790 has one. I would have to think the 700 oes also but maybe a call to B&H or AbleCine or TexasTapeworks could answer the question.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion