DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Professional online video storage solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/484718-professional-online-video-storage-solution.html)

Javier Salinas September 14th, 2010 08:12 AM

Professional online video storage solution

Hi,
As the title says I'm looking, without any luck, for a professional online video storage solution.
The idea is too be able to storage and share tons of HD footage and allow access to specific users, all around the world.
So far we're using FTP but is very slow and the navigating system is too simple.
We're looking for a system that allows to preview the clips (I think some FTP allows it) and that provides fast download and upload speed (I guess that will depend on the connection speed but anything that helps would be an improvement).
Ideally we'd like to have something like FCP Server but online :) No that sophisticated but I guess you get the idea!
Any thought would be very welcome and appreciated!
Thanks!

Matt Harvey September 14th, 2010 10:35 AM

Can't help you I'm afraid, but I've always wondered why Vimeo or Youtube never offered a service like this since they already have the infrastructure and viewing technology... surely a few highspeed links for those willing to pay for premium service should be easy to organise?

Cheers

Matt

Calvin Bellows September 14th, 2010 11:35 AM

Google it

I believe Google is offering a service like that. I haven't looked into it yet but I know a few people who are looking at using it.

Andrew Smith September 14th, 2010 06:36 PM

With Vimeo you can allow users to download the source video file that was originally uploaded. h264 compression should give you more than enough quality.

You can also limit access to those with a password for a particular video.

Should be technically do-able.

Andrew

Javier Salinas September 15th, 2010 01:46 AM

Thanks guys!
Yes, I've been using Vimeo for that purpose a lot and I think that temporally can do the job but I was looking for something more dynamic where I can upload big files and different formats (editable formats, preferably).
I believe probably FTP is going to be the solution. I don't see any other option.
Thank you.

Andrew Smith September 15th, 2010 02:20 AM

FTP would be about it, in all practicality. Must be god to not have any download / data quotas to work within.

Andrew

Steve Kalle September 18th, 2010 05:39 PM

What about SohoNet? Its what Hollywood uses but its fairly expensive.

The other option is to have someone build a website with these features with a custom CMS - Content Management System. I can't release our costs but based on them for our new video website, I'd guess $5k-10k with $100-500 per month for bandwidth costs based on how fast you want your downloads and how many people will download at any given time.

There was a topic here or on fxguide.com discussing a storage 'cloud' - kind of like what you want.

Oh yes, you MUST MUST MUST use 'sFTP' rather than regular FTP as it provides security so someone can't easily hack into your server.

Robert Turchick September 18th, 2010 05:55 PM

The company I used to work for, iMemories, does what you are describing but for consumer use. I don't think they have switched their system to handle full HD files but when they do, it could be a solution. Right now, the compression (mp4) for SD content is really fantastic and I've pulled files down for editing with very little loss of quality. The online browser and basic clip editor make organizing a breeze and the security thing is there too.
Check them out and when they make the switch ( should be within the next year) I will let everyone know.
Video Transfer and Film Transfer Service for VHS to DVD and Home Movies to DVD and Online Video Sharing - iMemories

Keith Dobie September 25th, 2010 01:09 PM

This may be worth a look. I haven't tried it, just got an advertising email about it the other day.

www.pixelflow.com

They seem to be a start-up, using it as a video equivalent of the stock photo sites. It also has a project management area that seems to be designed for video/film production and may be close to what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Keith

Keith Dobie September 25th, 2010 09:15 PM

Javier:
How about this. Set up your own FTP site, allowing your clients to download video -- and upload graphics and video to you as well. Just read about this today in another video website. Use your own internet connection/ISP. Might cost you more in bandwidth but it looks interesting. I was compiling a DVD last week and my client had me work with an agency to get some footage for it. I was given password into their private FTP site, and I downloaded the 5 cooking features, each about 5 minutes long on HD. They were 1280x720 QT files. I can't remember how long it took but it wasn't too bad. If you had hours of footage to share, well that's a different thing.

Here's the link to their website: Pogoplug