DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   CS5 User Needs Video Editing Software? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/484955-cs5-user-needs-video-editing-software.html)

Allen Campbell September 19th, 2010 09:37 PM

CS5 User Needs Video Editing Software?

I use Adobe CS5 for my photo work. New to the video world I am looking for a decent video editing program. Nothing too pricy and am wondering if there is a plugin for CS5?

Thanks

David Barnett September 19th, 2010 10:58 PM

I assume Adobe Premiere CS5 is 'too pricey'?? If so, Sony Vegas makes a cheap version. I think one for $99 should suit you just fine.

Adam Gold September 19th, 2010 11:50 PM

Do you have just Photoshop CS5 or one of the CS5 suites? If a suite, which one? You could probably upgrade fairly cheaply to a suite which includes Premiere, depending upon what you already have.

Jay West September 20th, 2010 12:21 AM

It is a little hard to tell you what would be a "decent" editing program. That's a highly subjective term because what is "decent" for me might be "way too complicated" for you. Or, it might be "insufficiently robust" for what you want to do.

So, your question inevitably results in questions back to you. What kind of video are you shooting and what kind of video do you want to make? Are you shooting HD video with a DSLR? Do you want to edit your own entertainment? Or, are you looking for a program to use for money making work? Maybe, you are you looking to make indie films? Maybe you just want to make things for the Web or YouTube? What about your computer hardware and software? Are you looking for a Mac or PC program? Is your editing computer about a year old or is it 4 or 5 years old? These things all make a big difference in your ability to use some programs and formats. And, of course, there is the inevitable question about your budget.

David gave you a constrained budget suggestion for a PC (and I think he was referring to Sony Vegas Studio). Adobe as a couple of horses in that market as well. (Last time I noticed, I think it was "Premiere Express"). Grass Valley has a Edius Neo which seems to be well liked as a basic editing program that handles AVCHD pretty well. It's about $200. If you are on a Mac and want something more than iMovie, you might look at Final Cut Express 4 (also about $200, as I recall.)

If you are looking for something more robust, there is the new Vegas Pro 10, Edius 5, and, of course, PPro CS5. From your question, I'm assuming that you recently purchased a stand alone copy of Photoshop CS5 and did not purchase one of the production or premium packages. Was Pshop CS5 an upgrade from earlier versions of Photoshop? So, following up on Adam's response, you might qualify for an upgrade price on a production package that would include Premiere Pro and other software. Adobe may allow you to convert/credit your Photoshop upgrade to a wider array of products, but you would have to call their 800 number to find out how it would work.

Also, check out Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 we are the video editing and production experts (they are one of the sponsors of DVinfo.net). The Videoguys web site has a variety of guides and blogs that may step you through choosing what you want.

Allen Campbell September 20th, 2010 07:05 AM

Thanks Guys,

I have been using Photoshop since CS2 upgrading each time. I'll have to call Adobe to see what they can do as far as an add-on.
I'll also be looking at the Vegas and the Video guys as suggested here.

I am new but can learn. I will want to clip or edit ot dub, what ever it's most commonly called here. Also adjust brightness & contrast, white balance, and maybe even exposure. I read there are programs that will enter the time stamp even if the video came over firewire.

Thanks.

Adam Gold September 20th, 2010 12:29 PM

Yes, as I mentioned in one of your other threads, there is a plug-in for Premiere called DVDATE which will automatically burn in the time and date for DV, but not HDV, footage. You apply it to your clips on the timeline from your effects menu once you've got it installed.

But it's been a long time since I used it and I couldn't tell you whether it works with CS5 or even if it is still available.

Also, the basic consumer entry-level version of Premiere that Jay refers to above is called Premiere Elements, and it's not part of CS5 as it's different than premiere Pro. But it may be all you need.

Paul R Johnson September 20th, 2010 12:57 PM

If you're quickish with Photoshop, then I'd certainly consider checking how much Premiere will cost - BUT don't forget Premiere CS5 is 64 bit ONLY!

Allen Campbell April 2nd, 2011 08:12 PM

Re: CS5 User Needs Video Editing Software?

Thanks Guys and sorry for the delay but I just got Vegas Pro 10 and love it so far.