What do you know about Cavision Matte Boxes? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2002, 10:23 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

I just ordered mine. You don't need the rods for the 16x manual if you get the the HARD SHELL version of the box, if you get the bellows one you do. Perhaps this was common knowledge to most people, to me it was not.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 03:00 PM   #17
Major Player

* * MATTE BOX RULES * *

Just talked to CAVISION...

Thinking about the possibilities of having a magnet like that attached to my camera, enhancing crisp images.

You attach one of those lovies to your camera, you had better be ready to seal the deal when Betty-Sue comes a walk'n up to you.

Ditto on pasting post-it-notes all over the camera, Kermie. That would definately deture da lovelies coming your way. Maybe you could light it on fire. It'll would get some attention that way. Maybe you could burn yourself and find yourself in the hospital in the company of a beautiful nurse.... AH... I digress...

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

Just got my box today. That thing is HUGE. What a monster! I need to do some tests to see when I experience vignetting with my various lenses. I'd rather not have to carry my LCD monitor around all the time.
Old November 8th, 2002, 02:13 AM   #19
Major Player

What lenses do you have John Bass?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

Just the stock and manual 16x, with a century .6x Wide Angle adapter.
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:41 AM   #21
Warden

Just a note to let readers know that this was split out of a much larger topic. The matte box discussion got way off topic, hence the reason for the split. I'll remove this note in a few days.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Matte boxes really prove their usefullness when you go wide. So I probably will go with the bellows and rods and pistol grip set up for the 16x manual and 3x wide.

Another point for a professional matte box or sunshade, is that imagine doing a really good scene, where everything went right,

action was right
dialog is right
light is right
Focus is right
Chance Background elements are right

Light seeped in from the side from a sloppy flag job, or jury-rigged cardboard matte box. You are looking at 3 takes of a scene that are subpar, and one excellent one with a flare.

I would have to have to pick between those scenes for the final product. :(
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:54 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

Anyone have tips on keeping those 4X4 glass filters clean? I've just been wiping down my lens with a microfiber cloth recently. Everything else I use leaves crap on it (lens pen, compressed air, ROR). This so far give me what looks like the cleanest lens, but I don't know if it'll work on those filters.

I'll be doing some tests with my matte box tomorrow.
Old November 9th, 2002, 09:34 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Could you use the Cavision matte box with whatever Panasonic plans for an anamorphic adapter for the AG-DVX100? I know this may be hard to say but for someone who has used neither a matte box nor adapter before, I was just wondering if you have to take one into consideration for the other - for example, if you had the $$ to buy a Cavision, would that rule you out of a 16:9 later??
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #25
Inner Circle

>>Anyone have tips on keeping those 4X4 glass filters clean? I've just been wiping down my lens with a microfiber cloth recently.<<

Josh, I go to Wal-Mart in their eyeglass section (Usually up front) and get the microcloths for litte money. They also have eyeglass cleaning solution with free refills. Those cloths were the same as the expensive ones sold at camera stores. They are washable too. The fluid doesn't leave any residue as far as I can tell.
I also carry some disposable ones as backup.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 02:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Cleaning Solutions

I've been wary of generic lens cleaning solutions, not because of residue, but fearing damage to the lens coatings. Does anyone know what ingredients to look for (or to avoid) to insure the solution will not degrade coated lenses?

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

This stuff called ROR (residual oil remover) is allegedly the way to go. It's been recommnded for cleaning filters and lenses.
Old November 11th, 2002, 03:08 PM   #28
Inner Circle

MY eyeglasses are coated with UV resistant stuff. The people at the vision section said the solution was safe. Still if Wal-Mart scares you, then don't user their stuff.
My eyeglasses cost 400.00 with frame, I don't take cleaning them lightly.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #29
Major Player

Following the praise the CaVision matte box has, I may get one. It sounds like everyone hear purchased their boxes from CaVision directly, am I right? Where did you purchase yours?
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #30
Air China Pilot

Just a note on using the matte boxes. Make sure they are screwed on tight. Dylan and I did a shoot a couple weeks ago and the matte box was a-thumping through all the motion shots .. actually the entire shot was motion!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion